Pete

Default How do I compose mathematical formulae in word?

I want to write some lesson plans for Chemistry which involve equations. How
are equations added to word documents?
garfield-n-odie

Hi, Pete. The answer depends on what kinds of equations you're writing.
Simple equations can be written as regular text. For more complex equations,
click on Insert | Object | Microsoft Equation 3.0. If this is not a choice
in your Insert Object menu, then you'll have to add the feature from your
Office CD by clicking on Start | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs |
Microsoft Office | Change | Add/Remove Features.

"Pete" wrote:

I want to write some lesson plans for Chemistry which involve equations. How
are equations added to word documents?

Jay Freedman

Pete wrote:
I want to write some lesson plans for Chemistry which involve
equations. How are equations added to word documents?

Use the Equation Editor. Look in the Insert Object dialog for it.

If it isn't there (it isn't installed by the Typical installation), go
through Start Control Panel Add/Remove Programs Microsoft Office
Change. Check the box for a custom install, look for Equation Editor under
Office Tools, and set it to "Run from my computer".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Bob Mathews

On 8-Dec-2004, wrote:

I want to write some lesson plans for Chemistry which involve
equations. How are equations added to word documents?

Pete, the responses so far have suggested using plain text or
Equation Editor for the equations. These are good suggestions,
but I wanted to point out that if the equations you are writing
are chemical reactions, Equation Editor includes 6 arrow
templates for such reactions. However, the professional version
of Equation Editor -- MathType -- includes 27. Notably missing
from Equation Editor are arrows with a text slot both above and
below the arrow (for catalysts, initial conditions, etc.), as
well as arrows for unbalanced reactions and equilibrium. These
are all included in MathType. MathType is $99 for academic use,
but you can download a free 30-day evaluation copy at the link in
my signature if you want to try it out. After 30 days, it's still
usable, though in a reduced-featured "MathType Lite" mode.
--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training 830-990-9699
JD

"Pete" wrote:

I want to write some lesson plans for Chemistry which involve equations. How
are equations added to word documents?

I found that for chemical reactions and structures, you should use a
third-party add-in. I personally use "ISIS/Draw", which is free for personal
or educational use from the following site: http://www.mdli.com/index.jsp

Good luck!