Better Hearing

Default Do i need to update my Word 97 in my XP Professional?

We run ACT 6.0 program in our office and have recently changed to Microsoft
XP Professional. After experiencing some problems, such as the computer
shutting itself down,it was suggested that the Word 97 program we use may not
be compatible with XP. The ACT program uses Word to do it's letters, etc. If
update is needed, which version of Word would be recommended?

Note: The computer is new and has been checked by technician
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QmV0dGVyIEhlYXJpbmc=?=,

We run ACT 6.0 program in our office and have recently changed to Microsoft
XP Professional. After experiencing some problems, such as the computer
shutting itself down,it was suggested that the Word 97 program we use may not
be compatible with XP. The ACT program uses Word to do it's letters, etc. If
update is needed, which version of Word would be recommended?

Word 97 will run under Windows XP, although it's best to install and use it as a
user with Administrator permissions; Word 97 doesn't understand about profiles,
networks, permissions and such - too old. If you want to pursue the problems with
Word 97, I recommend you ask in the word.application.errors and/or
word.setup.networking newsgroups.

Personally, I'd recommend moving to a more recent version of Word - nothing but
advantages as far as stability and functionality go. Word 2000 is certainly
closest to Word 97, as far as things not changing; but it's no longer
commerically available (except perhaps on eBay). If you want to go higher than
that, Word 2003 is the current version; and a number of things that weren't good
in Word 2002 have been fixed in Word 2003. But in some cases it's changed quite
a bit compared to Word 97 (mail merge; Track changes especially). *I* like it
:-)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org