Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Earl Kiosterud Earl Kiosterud is offline

Default Strange horizontal lines

Hello folks,

I have a document with horizontal lines I can't explain, and sometimes can't remove. Each
seems to be associated with a paragraph mark, and runs from the left indent to the right
indent. If I move the first line indent, the paragraph mark moves with it, but the extents
of the line remain with the left and right indents. If I move the right indent from the
right margin, the extent of the line moves with it, but the (empty)paragraph above it also
gets a horizontal line -- now there are two horizontal lines. Moving the left indent causes
similar things to happen, difficult to explain. The line is slightly below where the
underline characters would be, and there is no underline font formatting (there's no text in
this paragraph anyway). Paragraph and font formatting shows nothing that's not in other
paragraphs.

Images he
http://www.smokeylake.com/horizontal...ontallines.htm

The problem is that I can't get rid of these lines. They move around when I try to delete
them, and eventually one of my text lines gets them.

--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mary Sauer Mary Sauer is offline

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...tRidOfLine.htm

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Earl Kiosterud Earl Kiosterud is offline

Mary,

That did it! It was border formatting in the paragraph ABOVE it, of all things. Hooda
thunk? I don't understand the very strange behavior when I moved the indents of the
paragraph where the line appeared to be. Word put this border in automagically, apparently,
which is like other things it does automatically to the great consternation of many users.
I know now that there's an option for it, but no one goes through all the dialogs of such a
large program before they use it. When I type three hyphens, it does it again, though a
little box appears, allowing me to undo the border line it's just created. I don't recall
any of that happening when the document was created. Excel has similar "I think I'll help
the user, though it may drive him totally away in frustration" issues.

Thanks so much.