Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso geotso is offline

Default Inaccuracies in Word's Help

In topic "Keyboard shortcuts for Microsoft Word" under "Use the Open and
Save As dialog boxes" list, are mentioned a lot of shortcuts that they don't
apply to the last version of Office (all the combinations with the Alt key).
Furthermore, the descriptions of those shortcuts have references to some
buttons that don't even exist in those dialog boxes!

Obviously, there are there from another version of Office and they (in
Microsoft) didn't go to the trouble to remove them (it's really too much to
ask for a new Help system from scratch)

--
Please remove hyphens to contact me
----- --- -- -- -
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You didn't mention the version of Word you're using, but it sounds like Word 2007.

When you use F1 at the bottom of the dialog box set the search to only search the help files on the PC that came with Office 2007
and search on 'Keyboard shortcuts'

If you search Office online as well with the same search what results do you get?

If you search through http://office.microsoft.com/help for Word 2007 keyboard shortcuts? and have you set the list of apps to search
on there?

The Open and Save As dialogs are still in Word 2007 and can be accessed through
Office Files Button=Open or through their Word 2003 shortcuts.

Alt, F, O or Alt, F, S
the same shortcuts as in prior Word versions, Ctrl+O and Ctrl+S still work as well.

To get to the former Tools=Options location, now under
Office File Button=Word Options you can use either
Alt, T, O (old shortcut) or Alt, F, I (new shortcut)

You'll find several flavors of 'was/is' guides for commands, menus and shortcuts that have changed in Word 2007 from the prior
version here
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

FWIW, while Help is still not without flaws the search engine included with Office 2007 that is used with the local help files
is new

=================
"geotso" wrote in message ...
In topic "Keyboard shortcuts for Microsoft Word" under "Use the Open and
Save As dialog boxes" list, are mentioned a lot of shortcuts that they don't
apply to the last version of Office (all the combinations with the Alt key).
Furthermore, the descriptions of those shortcuts have references to some
buttons that don't even exist in those dialog boxes!

Obviously, there are there from another version of Office and they (in
Microsoft) didn't go to the trouble to remove them (it's really too much to
ask for a new Help system from scratch)

--
Please remove hyphens to contact me
----- --- -- -- -
geotso
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso geotso is offline

The Open and Save As dialogs are still in Word 2007 and can be accessed through
Office Files Button=Open or through their Word 2003 shortcuts.

Alt, F, O or Alt, F, S
the same shortcuts as in prior Word versions, Ctrl+O and Ctrl+S still work as well.

No. I didn't mean the Open and Save as dialog boxes themselves. I mean an
article in Word's help, that is absolute wrong. You can see it he
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH100965071033

You'll see the shortcuts I mentioned in my first post under "Use the Open
and Save as dialog boxes" topic.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Which keyboard shortcuts aren't working for you in the Open dialog box?
Nothing strange seems to be going on here, at least (Windows XP, Word 2007).
Alt+5 switches the view, Alt+2 goes one level up, Alt+4 creates a new
folder.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"geotso" wrote in message ...
The Open and Save As dialogs are still in Word 2007 and can be accessed
through
Office Files Button=Open or through their Word 2003 shortcuts.

Alt, F, O or Alt, F, S
the same shortcuts as in prior Word versions, Ctrl+O and Ctrl+S still
work as well.

No. I didn't mean the Open and Save as dialog boxes themselves. I mean an
article in Word's help, that is absolute wrong. You can see it he
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH100965071033

You'll see the shortcuts I mentioned in my first post under "Use the Open
and Save as dialog boxes" topic.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso geotso is offline

then, "Stefan Blom" climbed to the rostrum and said:
Which keyboard shortcuts aren't working for you in the Open dialog box?
Nothing strange seems to be going on here, at least (Windows XP, Word 2007).
Alt+5 switches the view, Alt+2 goes one level up, Alt+4 creates a new
folder.

Strange!
I can't use any combination that need the Alt key. Alt+1, Alt+2, Alt+4,
Alt+5 and Alt+I. I've tried both left and right Alt keys, plus the numbers
in number keypad. Nothing was happened.

--
Please remove hyphens to contact me
----- --- -- -- -
geotso
----- --- -- -- -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I suspect you are using Windows Vista and the dialog boxes for Open/Save As
in Office 2007 are different. So it's inaccurate for Vista but applicable to
Windows XP.

Did you provide feedback using the options at the bottom of the article?
They actually do see the feedback and modify the content accordingly. I just
added a note about the topic not applying to the Vista dialog box and the
more feedback they receive the more likely they are to change it. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"geotso" wrote in message

No. I didn't mean the Open and Save as dialog boxes themselves. I mean an
article in Word's help, that is absolute wrong. You can see it he
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH100965071033

You'll see the shortcuts I mentioned in my first post under "Use the Open
and Save as dialog boxes" topic.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Is the problem only with the Open dialog box? Can you use the Alt key
elsewhere?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"geotso" wrote in message
then, "Stefan Blom" climbed to the rostrum and said:
Which keyboard shortcuts aren't working for you in the Open dialog box?
Nothing strange seems to be going on here, at least (Windows XP, Word
2007). Alt+5 switches the view, Alt+2 goes one level up, Alt+4 creates a
new folder.

Strange!
I can't use any combination that need the Alt key. Alt+1, Alt+2, Alt+4,
Alt+5 and Alt+I. I've tried both left and right Alt keys, plus the numbers
in number keypad. Nothing was happened.

--
Please remove hyphens to contact me
----- --- -- -- -
geotso
----- --- -- -- -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso geotso is offline

then, "Stefan Blom" climbed to the rostrum and said:
Is the problem only with the Open dialog box? Can you use the Alt key
elsewhere?

As Beth notes (it was my mistake don't mentioning it at first place) I use
Vista Home Premium and key combinations that use the Alt key don't work in
the Open and Save as dialog boxes only (from all my tests I have done in
Word till now).

Thank you for your responce
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Thank you for the feedback. I just noticed Beth's reply myself.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"geotso" wrote in message ...
then, "Stefan Blom" climbed to the rostrum and said:
Is the problem only with the Open dialog box? Can you use the Alt key
elsewhere?

As Beth notes (it was my mistake don't mentioning it at first place) I use
Vista Home Premium and key combinations that use the Alt key don't work in
the Open and Save as dialog boxes only (from all my tests I have done in
Word till now).

Thank you for your responce

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso geotso is offline

Did you provide feedback using the options at the bottom of the article?
They actually do see the feedback and modify the content accordingly. I just
added a note about the topic not applying to the Vista dialog box and the
more feedback they receive the more likely they are to change it. :-)

Good point Beth! I'll do that right now!

Thank you very much

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"geotso" wrote in message

Did you provide feedback using the options at the bottom of the article?
They actually do see the feedback and modify the content accordingly. I
just added a note about the topic not applying to the Vista dialog box
and the more feedback they receive the more likely they are to change it.
:-)

Good point Beth! I'll do that right now!

Thank you very much

You're welcome. :-)

And thanks for confirming it is due to using Vista. It appears the same
issue occurs in the Help content for all of the Office apps due to the
change in dialog boxes between operating systems.

~Beth Melton

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

You'll find that the arrow keys provide some of the missing functions, but I
cannot work out how to get to the New Folder option using a keyboard
shortcut though.

Terry Farrell

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
"geotso" wrote in message

Did you provide feedback using the options at the bottom of the article?
They actually do see the feedback and modify the content accordingly. I
just added a note about the topic not applying to the Vista dialog box
and the more feedback they receive the more likely they are to change
it. :-)

Good point Beth! I'll do that right now!

Thank you very much

You're welcome. :-)

And thanks for confirming it is due to using Vista. It appears the same
issue occurs in the Help content for all of the Office apps due to the
change in dialog boxes between operating systems.

~Beth Melton

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso geotso is offline

then, "Terry Farrell" climbed to the rostrum and said:
You'll find that the arrow keys provide some of the missing functions,
but I cannot work out how to get to the New Folder option using a
keyboard shortcut though.

That's easy if you observe closely how Tab key moves the focus:
The next tab after the Searchbox focuses the Organize button in the toolbar.
Press Down arrow, et voila!

Generally, there's (almost) always a key combination to perform an action in
Word. My first post wasn't exactly about a problem; it was a theoretical
question to show that Microsoft owes to pay more attention even to such
small things for one of the most popular products worldwide