Andy

Default How to turn off TOC levels showing up in body of document

I'm working on a long document with several style levels linked to the TOC.
For each line of text that is linked to the TOC, Word shows a bracketed
definition in the document itself.

Example: A heading called "Agreements and Jurisdiction" is followed by a
line right under it that says:

{tc \1 "Agreements and Jurisdiction}

It doesn't print, but it affects pagination on the screen. Any idea how to
turn these off? I should note that this document was converted from a
WordPerfect doc, and also I am working on Word for Mac 2004. Any help would
be greatly appreciated.
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 13 May 2005 15:40:06 -0700, "Andy"
wrote:

I'm working on a long document with several style levels linked to the TOC.
For each line of text that is linked to the TOC, Word shows a bracketed
definition in the document itself.

Example: A heading called "Agreements and Jurisdiction" is followed by a
line right under it that says:

{tc \1 "Agreements and Jurisdiction}

It doesn't print, but it affects pagination on the screen. Any idea how to
turn these off? I should note that this document was converted from a
WordPerfect doc, and also I am working on Word for Mac 2004. Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Click the ¶ button on the toolbar to turn off the display of
nonprinting characters.

The TC fields (and the XE fields for marking index entries) are
automatically formatted with the Hidden font format. Word is trying to
be helpful by also automatically turning on nonprinting characters
when you create one of these fields so you can see what you're doing.

As a clue, notice that there's a light dotted line under the field,
which means it's formatted as Hidden. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...PrintChars.htm for
information about these and other lines and widgets.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Daiya Mitchell

Just FYI--there are also Mac-specific MS newsgroups.
See here for Google/Entourage gateway to Mac-specific ngs:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

There is nothing Mac-specific about this question or answer, though, and
there won't be for many questions--except if the recommended article refers
to Tools | Options, that's equivalent to the Preferences dialog.

wrote:

[...]

Margaret Aldis

And one more FYI - if the TC fields just repeat what is in the heading, you
could avoid them (and all the attendant update problems) altogether by
building your TOC from heading styles instead of TOC entry fields.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

.. .