Jerry

Default File Conversion

I need to convert a WPD file to Word 2004 on the iMac? Where can I find the
software to convert the file?
Charles Kenyon

Install all the converters that come with Word and then attempt to open your
WPD doc. What happens? Which version of Word Perfect? If you still have that
version, try saving as a WP 5.1 doc or an .rtf file and then opening from
within Word.

Note: I would never use a converted document for much more than printing
out. I would not include its content in anything I intended to be using
long-term without a lot of cleanup work.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Jerry" wrote in message
I need to convert a WPD file to Word 2004 on the iMac? Where can I find
the
software to convert the file?

Daiya Mitchell

I need to convert a WPD file to Word 2004 on the iMac? Where can I find the
software to convert the file?

MacLink Plus from DataViz is respected as an excellent converter for WP and
other programs that you can pay for.
http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html

The free option would probably be to download a version of WP if you don't
still have it, install it in Classic, and use it to save your documents as
RTF or as Word, which Word X or 2004 will then be able to open. Except
that I have no idea whether the old Mac WP will open newer WP documents.

There's a couple places to get that:

http://acmfiles.csusb.edu/corel/wpmac.html
OR
ftp://ftp.r8ix.com/WP-L_Stuff/
More info he
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html

By the way, for such Mac-specific questions involving Word interacting with
other programs or with hardware, it's better to post on the Mac-specific
groups.
See here for gateway to Mac-specific ngs:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Paraclete

Error message when trying to open a Word 6.0 file in Word 2003:
"Cannot open Word 6.0 file."

Can you help? Thanks.
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:57:07 -0800, Paraclete
wrote:

Error message when trying to open a Word 6.0 file in Word 2003:
"Cannot open Word 6.0 file."

Can you help? Thanks.

I finally stumbled across the answer to this. Apparently one of the
security measures in Windows XP SP2 turned off the Word 6.0 converter
for WordPad, and that zapped it for Word too. This KB article gives
directions for adding a value to the registry to turn it on again:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870883 Ignore the blather about
Quicken.

--
Regards,