Zach

Default Excel text displays incorrectly

I am typing text into a cell in Excel (Office XP). I formatted the cells for
text, and to wrap the text. Text I typed before I formatted the cells (range
of cells), are displaying properly.

But text I have typed after formatting is showing in the cells as #######.
If I double click on a cell, the text appears. Exit the cell, and the
display reverts to ####. I have tried sizing the cells more than large
enough to contain the text, and that is not working.

Anybody have an idea how to fix this?
Jezebel

It means the value you have entered into the cell is invalid for the number
formatting applied to that cell. Fix it by correcting the number format (eg,
change it to General).

For future reference, Excel questions are better directed to an Excel forum.

"Zach" wrote in message
I am typing text into a cell in Excel (Office XP). I formatted the cells

for
text, and to wrap the text. Text I typed before I formatted the cells

(range
of cells), are displaying properly.

But text I have typed after formatting is showing in the cells as #######.
If I double click on a cell, the text appears. Exit the cell, and the
display reverts to ####. I have tried sizing the cells more than large
enough to contain the text, and that is not working.

Anybody have an idea how to fix this?

Jezebel

That's the most common cause, but there are quite a few situations that
produce that effect, including some that you can't resolve by widening the
column -- which seems to be the OP's problem. Eg, a negative number
formatted as a date.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
In my experience that display means that the number is too long to be
displayed in the current column width.

so
all may benefit.