Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue

Default Random Characters

I have a few documents that open OK for most people, but there are a couple
of users that open it with strange characters. For instance, a " will show
up as a @. I have attempted to open through Word making sure that Word
Documents is chosen as the file type, but that didn't help. I've also tried
changing the default printer, but that didn't help. These documents seems to
be coming from one user in particular, e-mailed to several users. Odd thing
is that I can e-mail the messed up version to myself, and it opens OK, so I'm
thinking it's something in the options or individual settings on each
computer.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The "/@ combination is usually an indication that the document has been
created in WordPerfect, with the WP Typographic Symbols font used for
quotes, dashes, and a few other characters. If it is opened on a machine
that doesn't have this font installed, then you'll see this substitution.
The only real fix is to replace the symbol characters with the appropriate
characters in the default paragraph font.

"Sue" wrote in message
I have a few documents that open OK for most people, but there are a

couple
of users that open it with strange characters. For instance, a " will

show
up as a @. I have attempted to open through Word making sure that Word
Documents is chosen as the file type, but that didn't help. I've also

tried
changing the default printer, but that didn't help. These documents seems

be coming from one user in particular, e-mailed to several users. Odd

thing
is that I can e-mail the messed up version to myself, and it opens OK, so

I'm
thinking it's something in the options or individual settings on each
computer.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue

That's possible because Office and WP are both installed on the creator's
computer. He swears that he only uses Office for internal stuff. I'm
wondering if Office could be picking up on WP fonts? I'm going to try
installing WP fonts on one of the machines that's displaying the weird
characters and see what happens. I'll let you know. Thanks for the advice!