Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CBTman CBTman is offline

Default Page numbering

This scenario should never happen in MS word 2007, but it does.

Page 1
Text
Continuous Section Break
Page break
Footer: Odd page Footer - Section 1
Page number: 1

Page 2
Text
Continuous Section Break
Page break
Footer: Even page Footer - Section 2
Page number: 2 (First problem: Cannot make it start as "1")

Page 3
Text
Continuous Section Break
Page break
Footer: Even page Footer - Section 3 (Second problem: It should be "Odd")
Page number: 2 (Third problem: Cannot make it start as "1" either)

Can anyone solve this riddle?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Section Break Continuous followed by a page break???? What is wrong with
Section Break Next Page?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"CBTman" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CBTman CBTman is offline

When using mirrored pages, inserting a Next Page section break takes the text
to the new paper sheet, leaving a completerly blank page on the second page
of the first sheet. This not only wastes paper, but it also looks weird.

"CBTman" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

A Next Page section break does *not* insert a blank sheet unless it is
accompanied by a page break. An Odd Page break will insert a blank even page
if the previous section ends on an odd page. But, as pointed out in answer
to another of your questions, you are inserting section breaks unnecessarily
because using "Different odd and even" would accomplish what you want.

http://word.mvps.org

"CBTman" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CBTman CBTman is offline

Suzanne,

Sadly, a Next Page section break *does* insert a blank sheet when using
mirrored margins IF the page numbering style is changed or IF the page
numbering sequence is restarted. I tried this with MS Word 2007 and 2003 and
it does it in both cases.

In my case, the documents have a front cover and a back cover section (no
numbering). It also has an Edition Notes section (one page, numbering
starting at "I") and a Table of Contents section (one or two pages, numbering
starting at "a"). Finally, the six body sections (multiple pages each,
numbering starting at "1" on the first section and continuing onto the
subsequent sections).

Although I tried to avoid this problem by using €śContinuous€ť section breaks
followed by the corresponding Page breaks, as soon as I changed the page
numbering style and sequence for the first two sections, the problem
resurfaced, as you saw in my posting.

So far, my workaround for years has been to break up the document into
several sub-documents, each with its own page-numbering scheme. To publish
the complete document, I convert each sub-document to PDF and combine all the
PDF files into a single PDF document, which is what we end up publishing.

I would really like to know whether Word has a more elegant and efficient
solution to work with different page numbering styles and sequences when
using mirrored margins than breaking up the document.

Thank you for your response, BTW.

"CBTman" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you restart at an odd number, then, yes, Word will force an Odd Page
break. By using mirror margins or "Different odd and even" you have told
Word you intend to duplex, and Word will not put an odd page on the verso.
As long as you're numbering and paginating your document in the conventional
way, then you should be using Odd Page breaks already when you intend to
restart numbering at 1.

http://word.mvps.org