Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robert M. Franz [RMF] Robert M. Franz [RMF] is offline

Default Pictures & Captions

Hello Jethro

Jethro Pull wrote:
I am editing a 300 page book about our local history in MS-Word 2007. Our
historical society has lots of scanned images to include in the text,

I am slowly losing my sanity trying to place an image and it's caption and
have them remain where I placed them. I'm up to page 150, have over 80
images and captions with at least that many more to come.

Almost every time I save, close, and reopen, some of the images and captions
have wandered off to a new location.

what kind of layout are you trying to create in Word? How wide are the
pictures compared to your body text width (or the page size mines left
and right margins, should this be different)?

In a document you describe, with so many pictures, I strongly recommend
to insert the pictures "inline with text" only.

[You can make this the default for inserted new pictures: Office button
| Word Options | Advanced | Cut, Copy, Paste | Insert images as ...]

Word then treats pictures like a large character, so you give it its own
paragraph and place the caption paragraph below it. You even give the
picture paragraph its own paragraph style (no fixed line height, and
"keep with next" so Word won't separate pictures and caption).

Don't try to place the picture outside of the text area. Yes, it looks
cool and you can let the text flow around the picture, but you're
probably finding the hard way right now that it's tough to manage.

[I don't say it cannot be done, if you've completely understood the
other options, how picture anchors work, etc. I've used such pictures
sparingly in annual reports of about 50 pages. But especially when your
document goes through a lot of revisions, it's a real hassle!]

Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robert M. Franz [RMF] Robert M. Franz [RMF] is offline

Hello Jethro

Jethro Pull wrote:
1. What kind of layout? Not sure what you mean, I'm using 5-1/2 x 8-1/2
pages with margins about the same as some books of the same size. Just to
keep things interesting, I put in large images of maps, smaller images of
pictures sometimes centered (top and bottom text), sometimes left margin
with wrap and sometimes right margin with wrap. I'm trying not to be
predictable with respect to how images look. BTW, this is all in black and
white.

OK, that's the mixed layout I'm always afraid of ... :-)

2. I will try your "inline" suggestion. It never seemed like a good option,
so I never used it, but it's worth a try and it seems to have inherent
characteristics to keep image locations under control.

Yes, concerning image placement, this is the only one that's rock solid.
All the others, well ...

You might want to read up a bit he

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/DrawingGraphics.htm

Most articles are probably for Word 2003 and lower, but the concepts
have not changed in this respect.

3. Intriguing as it may look, I haven't tried to place any images outside
the margins. It seemed too problematic.

For images (horizontally) totally outside the margins, there's a nice
frame-based approach (very neat because it can be incorporated into a
paragraph style, and you can even tell Word to show the picture either
always in the left margin, always on the right margin, or always in the
outside or inside margin). Suzanne Barnhill descibes this approach at:

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MarginalText.htm

[..]
BTW, with almost 19 chapters, would you save each chapter by itself when it
is finished and put them all back together (fix all page numbers and
endnotes in the process of reassembling), or work on the entire document at
one time?

No, I would not. Word should not have a problem with the file per se (I
presume you have read up on template and style setup ... there's a
_couple_ of articles on the MVP page about these subjects as well.

But I suggest frequent backups! And to keep all the images you insert as
separate files as well (historically, Word has never been a
good/reliable container for picture and other "objects").

Good luck!
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jethro Pull Jethro Pull is offline

Just one more question (he said boldly lying): Using your inline technique,
I can't view the image. I just see the horizontal bottom 15%. It would be
viewable if I were to wrap top & bottom, etc., but that would lose the
characteristics of an inline place holder ... no?

Off to read Suzanne's stuff and the MVPS page ... thanks.

Mixed layout? Mixed as to what? (Just kick me off to the MVPS site for this
answer, if you wish.)

Thanks, again.

BTW, a good backup/versioning technique I use is, immediately upon opening,
Save As "20090625 - [filename]". Next day: "20090626 - [filename]". This
keeps a couple extra versions handy, plus I use SynchToy to copy stuff,
usually daily, to an external drive. I think it's the "cat's meow" vis-a-vis
backing up.

"Robert M. Franz [RMF]" wrote in message
Hello Jethro

Jethro Pull wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Jethro Pull wrote:
Just one more question (he said boldly lying): Using your inline technique,
I can't view the image. I just see the horizontal bottom 15%. It would be
viewable if I were to wrap top & bottom, etc., but that would lose the
characteristics of an inline place holder ... no?

the paragraph your picture is in is set to exact line height. (MSFT has
changed the default Normal style to have an exact line height in Word
2007, which isn't a bad thing per se.) The cleanest solution is to
create a paragraph style for your pictures, based on Normal or no
style, and you can change the line height to "at least ..."

Using "top and bottom" for pictures is the worst option IMHO: you loose
the solidity of the inline approach, but (obviously) don't need any
fancy text-flow-around ... :-)

Off to read Suzanne's stuff and the MVPS page ... thanks.

Mixed layout? Mixed as to what? (Just kick me off to the MVPS site for this
answer, if you wish.)

No secret there, I just meant using all sorts of picture sizes. Doesn't
make your life easier, that's for sure.

Good luck!
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Jethro Pull wrote:
You are great! Thanks for all your help and insight.

[..]

you're welcome! :-)

Greetinx from good old Europe
Robert