Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Heather Heather is offline

Default Need unique page numbers

I've looked everywhere for an answer and can't find one.

I have a large document, and due to size, Appendix A and B are both broken
out.

I need to be able to have the page numbers in Appendix B to be the following:
B-1
B-2
B-3, etc.

I can't simply type a B- and place in the page numbers afterwards, as I need
those page numbers to show up on a cross reference and in the ToC with the B
or A in front of them. How can I do this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Provided the A and B are in a heading somewhere (as auto numbering), you can
use the "Include chapter number" feature; see
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html

http://word.mvps.org

"Heather" wrote in message
I've looked everywhere for an answer and can't find one.

I have a large document, and due to size, Appendix A and B are both broken
out.

I need to be able to have the page numbers in Appendix B to be the
following:
B-1
B-2
B-3, etc.

I can't simply type a B- and place in the page numbers afterwards, as I
need
those page numbers to show up on a cross reference and in the ToC with the
or A in front of them. How can I do this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

So make the number on the title page a heading. You can modify it as
required, and it need not be anything more than just Appendix A, Appendix B,
created as auto numbering. Here's how I'd do it, assuming that you're using
Headings 1-3 for your main document and Heading 4 is so far unused (adjust
the instructions accordingly if you've used more levels in the main
document):

1. On the title page of the first appendix, select the paragraph you're
using for "Appendix A."

2. In the Styles and Formatting task pane, click the arrow beside Heading 4
(but don't click Heading 4, or you will apply it to that paragraph) and
choose "Update to Match Selection." This will change the formatting of
Heading 4 to match your appendix number.

3. Now apply Heading 4 to the paragraph.

4. Place the insertion point in a Heading 1 paragraph and go to Format |
Bullets and Numbering | Outline Numbered. The list numbering you've used for
Headings 1-3 should be selected. Click Customize.

5. In the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog, select Level 4, and expand
the dialog by clicking More. Be sure that Level 4 is linked to Heading 4.

6. Delete the contents of the "Number format" box and type Appendix,
followed by a space.

7. In the "Number style" dropdown, choose A, B, C.

8. If the paragraph that includes the appendix number also includes the
appendix title, set the indents and tabs as required. If not (more likely),
choose "Nothing" for "Follow number with."

9. If the number/title will be centered, make sure the "Number position" is
set to Left and "Aligned at" and "Indent at" set to 0". You'll achieve the
centering by formatting the paragraph itself as centered.

Once you've done this, then you can select Heading 4 for your "chapter
number" in the Page Number Format dialog, and it will be included both on
the page and in the TOC.

http://word.mvps.org

"Heather" wrote in message
I've looked everywhere for an answer and can't find one.

I have a large document, and due to size, Appendix A and B are both
broken
out.

I need to be able to have the page numbers in Appendix B to be the
following:
B-1
B-2
B-3, etc.

I can't simply type a B- and place in the page numbers afterwards, as I
need
those page numbers to show up on a cross reference and in the ToC with
or A in front of them. How can I do this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

Heather - Don't confuse Heading with Header, Ms Barnhill is describing that
your Appendix A and Appendix B titles are using a Heading Style, if they are,
then you can use the Include Chapter Number in the page numbering as she
describes.
If they don't, follow the instructions supplied subsequently.
Hope this helps
DeanH