S.L.NARASIMHAM

Default no more space in custom dictionary."

good evening all. i am running office xp on windows xp. (office build
10.2627.2625). many users sharing the system--includes doctors, engineers,
insurance workers, biotechnologists and MBAs. as everuyone says "add to the
dictionary" when a new word is encountered, it has reached the stage where
it started saying--no more space in custom dictionary." can i somehow
increase the space allotted to the custom dictionary? what is the remedy?
i would like to state that all of us are NON TECHNOCRATS. meaning we know
very little about the computer and the software. as the head of the family,
i have been entrusted with the jobof finding a solution. help me please.
tia.
S.L.Narasimham.

Tom Ferguson

You cannot change the maximum size of the custom dictionary as far as I
know and can determine. However, you can have more than one dictionary
active. Only one can be set to have words added to it. To serve that
function, the dictionary is set as the default.

Start Word. Navigate to Options Spelling and Grammar Custom
Dictionaries. Click on New. Right mouse click on custom.dic and
change the name to anything you please. I used CUSTOM00.DIC. Cancel the
window to exit. Word will create a new CUSTOM.DIC file and use it for the
default. To add the old custom.dic for use, click Custom Dictionaries
again and click on the box next to the file name to place an X in it. OK
out.

Alternately, you can create a new dictionary and set it as the default.
New words will be added to it.

While you are in that mode, consider editing the old dictionary to remove
words that were accidentally added or are not needed any longer.

Note that additional considerations arise if the machine has multiple
user accounts. Each user account will have a different custom dictionary
stored with the profile for the account. You will have to be signed in as
that user to make the changes for that account.
e.g. c:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"S.L.NARASIMHAM" wrote in message
[...]
:
:

S.L.NARASIMHAM

sorry i couldnot get back to you sooner. infact, saw the posst only now and
did all as suggested, including editing the custom.dic. i removed a few, may
be 30-40 words. hopefully nobody will rile against me. but 30-40 words is
not a big no. so, the new custom00.dic should come to my aid.--hopefully.
and by the way, as i saw it, there were only a couple of hundred words added
to the custom.dic. don't you feel it is very little room for adding words?
we have only two profiles( one in my name and another in the name of my
niece-an engineering student.) everybody (and his cousin) uses my profile.
thanks a lot.
S.L.Narasimham.
"Tom Ferguson" wrote in message
[...]

I think you can probably add more words to the custom dictionary. Often the
message that it is full is bogus. You might see "The custom dictionary is
full. The word was not added" error message when you add a word to the
custom dictionary in Word 2002 at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291176