Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
r.r16 r.r16 is offline

Default Word 2000 crashes when trying to open a file saved by Word 200

I am having a similar problem on my laptop, the message is exactly the same
although I have not been able to locate the error log for it. This has only
just started and happens whenever I try to either open and read a document or
even to compose a new one. I have Office professional 2000 installed and do
not have any other ms. word docs on that machine. As I have no access to word
2003 how can I resolve this problem

"Beth Melton" wrote:

What type of data does the template and/or documents contain? Macros?
Custom toolbars? AutoText?

Also, if in Word 2003 you use the "Open and Repair" command, found
under the Open drop down, and save the document can you then open it
in Word 2000?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Lawrie" wrote in message
We have documents based on well-used templates in Word 2000. The
first time
that thay are opened by a user of Word 2003, the file becomes
unreadable in
Word 2000, and con only be opened by Word 2003.

The error message is:
Winword.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You
will
need to restart the program. An error log is being created.
drwtsn32.log has these lines:

Application exception occurred:
App: (pid=1396)
When: 12/10/2004 @ 11:33:52.738
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

We have tried saving the file in all formats supported by Word 2003,
but the
same problem persists.

Any ideas, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Repair Word from Windows control panel add or remove programs.
Then see http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm followed by
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

"Lawrie" wrote in message
We have documents based on well-used templates in Word 2000. The
first time
that thay are opened by a user of Word 2003, the file becomes
unreadable in
Word 2000, and con only be opened by Word 2003.

The error message is:
Winword.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You
will
need to restart the program. An error log is being created.
drwtsn32.log has these lines:

Application exception occurred:
App: (pid=1396)
When: 12/10/2004 @ 11:33:52.738
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

We have tried saving the file in all formats supported by Word 2003,
but the
same problem persists.

Any ideas, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
r.r16 r.r16 is offline

I have tried tha control panel approach but it makes no difference. Are you
saying that I should clear out all of the contents of my temp file? My
problem is not only that documents close down after I open them from file but
that I cannot write any thing in a new word doc as it also gets shut down. I
have been onto Microsoft tech service who were most unhelpfu having been
passed from one to another without any getting help at all.
It look as if I hving paid out for the MS Office suite and they having taken
my cash
m.soft are now not interested any more.

"Lawrie" wrote in message
We have documents based on well-used templates in Word 2000. The
first time
that thay are opened by a user of Word 2003, the file becomes
unreadable in
Word 2000, and con only be opened by Word 2003.

The error message is:
Winword.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You
will
need to restart the program. An error log is being created.
drwtsn32.log has these lines:

Application exception occurred:
App: (pid=1396)
When: 12/10/2004 @ 11:33:52.738
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

We have tried saving the file in all formats supported by Word 2003,
but the
same problem persists.

Any ideas, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
r.r16 r.r16 is offline

I have been able to get this fixed by my local technician, cost me £20 but
worth it! the problem? a new printer installed on my wife's pc that did not
have a correct driver installed on my laptop, although there was no problem
with my own pc. Thanks to every one who tried to help me I realy appreciate
it.