Judy

Default Printing select number of labels from a mail merge result

I've created a template that will print a full sheet of identical
labels using Mail Merge and a Query Option. This will allow me to
print up to a full sheet of labels but I don't always need that many of
a particular label. Can someone please tell how to print a varying
number of labels each time without having to print the entire sheet?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Peter Jamieson

A few suggestions:

For simple labels I would either select all the cells (i.e. labels) you do
not need and delete all the text and fields in them, then do the merge, and
make sure that you do /not/ save the changes to the document when Word
prompts you, or do the merge to a new document and delete the cells/labels I
did not need, then print.

By "simple" I mean labels that don't have stuff such as graphics that might
be hard to delete in this way.

You could probably write a small macro to let you specify a number, but I
suspect it's easier and more maintainable just to select and delete as
suggested.

Another approach if you always have the same layouts and data source might
be to maintain mutliple versions of the mail merge template, i.e. one for
each number of labels you want to print - name them 01-label.doc (or .dot),
etc. and pick the one you need. Trouble is, if you need to change the
layout, data source or content, you then have lots of templates to change.

Something to look out for when printing /some/ labels on a sheet is that if
you re-feed used label stationery it can cause problems with your printer.
Mayber you have already tested that it is OK.

Here, for printing individual labels and small batches, I use a Dymo
LabelWriter and avoid Word Mailmerge. There's obviously some capital outlay
involved, and the stationery is probably relatively expensive, but most of
the wastage results from my own mistakes rather than the software or
hardware.

Peter Jamieson

oups.com...