Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default How to modify headings

Hi Peyton

Peyton Todd wrote:
For a linguistics article I'm writing, the journal I will submit it to
requires me to use a Word template which they provide - a template which
includes headings of levels 1, 2, 3 etc. of a particular style. They also
require that the headings be numbered as e.g. 3.4.2 (= 2nd sub-section within
the 4th sub-section of section 3), but the headings in their template don't
have those initial numbers attached automatically. I can of course just type
them in, but I want them to re-number automatically if I stuff in a new
section somewhere, and I would also like cross-references to them within the
body of the document to update automatically when new headings are added.

Well, you should tell the journal to hire a professional to take a good
look at their template! :-)

If you want to get it right, you can use the knowledge in the following
articles:

See the section on "Numbering, bullets, Headings, Outlines" (by Shauna
Kelly)
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/
How to restart style-based numbering (by Margaret Aldis)
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...artMethods.htm
Word's numbering explained (by John McGhie)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...gExplained.htm

How do I do this? When I try to modify the headings directly, Word tells me
this is forbidden.

Exact message? Though, at that point, you should contact the journal and
ask for their guidance. If they have locked the template's styles and
force you to use it, they have to support it if it conflicts with their
written specifications!

Greetinx
Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Peyton Todd Peyton Todd is offline

Thanks, Robert, but my main problem was how to get around Word's refusal to
modify these headings. As it turned out, I was able to notice that when I
create a new heading while positioned on one of the existing headings, Word
defaults to building the new heading based on the one you're positioned on.
So all I had to do was give it a different name, e.g. 'Numbered Heading 1'
and then just tell it to use outline numbering of the type required by the
journal.

Thanks for the useful references to articles about this, though.
--
Peyton Todd

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Peyton