Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
dgavery dgavery is offline

Default Word put document text in single character vertical column.

I have Office 97 Professional. Word suddenly put portions of a large
document into a vertical line of single characters. The document was 167
pages, single space, 10 pt. font, Times New Roman. After the "problem," the
document went to 310 pages. Prior to doing this, a message came up saying
there were too many spelling errors. Trying to enter spellings into my
personal dictionary failed in many cases. I have tried opening the document
on different computers, and it does the same thing in the same places. I have
tried every editing/formatting option I can think of and can't get the
document back in its correct form.

This is an important document and I need help!

Thanks.
--
dgavery
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Go to Format | Columns and click on the preset picture for One, then OK.
This should deal with the alignment problem, at least. For the dictionary
problem, see €œYou receive an error message when you add a word to the custom
dictionary in Word 2003€ at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813996

"dgavery" wrote in message
I have Office 97 Professional. Word suddenly put portions of a large
document into a vertical line of single characters. The document was 167
pages, single space, 10 pt. font, Times New Roman. After the "problem,"

the
document went to 310 pages. Prior to doing this, a message came up saying
there were too many spelling errors. Trying to enter spellings into my
personal dictionary failed in many cases. I have tried opening the

document
on different computers, and it does the same thing in the same places. I

have
tried every editing/formatting option I can think of and can't get the
document back in its correct form.

This is an important document and I need help!

Thanks.
--
dgavery

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
dgavery dgavery is offline

Already tried working with columns. It's set to one column. There is no
indication of any formatting change between the regular text and where the
text changes to a single vertical line of characters.
--
dgavery