Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jack

Default Formatiing a doc that has portrait and landscape layout pages

Hello,
I am writing a thesis and I'm using a template for it. No problems, until I
came to the appendix section.
Here is the issue.
I want to insert many tables with text into the appendix. However, these
were all created as individual Word documents where the page is in landscape
layout and the table covers the whole page.
In order to keep the original size to the table, I changed the layout to
landscape for the given section of the appendix in my thesis. The problem is
that the header and footer are now along the top and bottom of these pages
(i.e. the long side of the paper) - which is obvious, but I want them
actually on the right and left side of these landscape pages with the text
going at a 90 degree angle to the text in the table.

Here is the goal: That way, when the thesis is bound like a book, every page
including the entire appendix will have its numbering and its header along
the shorter sides of the paper (i.e. top and bottom of the book) and the
reader will simply turn the book 90 degrees to read the tables.

I don't know if it is possible to do that. The only thing I can think of is
to leave all thesis pages as portrait layouts and then copy the tables from
their original documents and paste them as enhanced metafiles, which I then
rotate 90 degrees to fit the portrait layout.
The problem with this is that the tables will no longer be able to be edited
once they are enhanced metafiles and I actually want the ability to still
change things in them as regular tables.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?
Your help is much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Jack

Jack wrote:
I don't know if it is possible to do that. The only thing I can think of is
to leave all thesis pages as portrait layouts and then copy the tables from
their original documents and paste them as enhanced metafiles, which I then
rotate 90 degrees to fit the portrait layout.
The problem with this is that the tables will no longer be able to be edited
once they are enhanced metafiles and I actually want the ability to still
change things in them as regular tables.

See Garfield's answer.

For a solution along your thoughts above, (since your tables are not
longer than one page and in separate files anyway) you could dump them
into individual Excel workbooks. There you can easily transpose (Copy |
Paste Special, Transpose) and change the text direction (Format | Cell
in the 2nd or 3rd tab).

HTH
Robert
--