Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Best way to add graphics and tables in a document

Hi folks...

I have a 300-page Word 2003 document (master with about a dozen
subdocuments), in which so far I have been putting text only, to avoid
messing around with pictures, text boxes and the like. However, a point
is coming at which I will need to add tens of such objects and would
like to do it properly.

In smaller documents, I have used text boxes and (as of Word 2003)
drawing panes, with sub-optimal results. Too often, the application
seems to have a mind of its own, moving objects to wrong sections of a
page or even to other pages every time it repaginates (e.g., as a
result of some more text added in). Needless to say, I have tried
tuning settings (e.g., text placement, anchors, etc.), but the problem
persists.

So, here are my questions:

(a) How can I add pictures and tables, with their captions, at exactly
the position I want in my document, without formatting headaches?

(b) If I link the pictures (instead of embedding them), how do I define
their size and position in the document?

(c) Should I add the objects through the master document (i.e., in its
"Print Layout"), or should I go and do that in the individual
subdocuments?

Thanks,

Dimitris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I won't even touch the idea of your using a master document, which I would
advise you to combine into a single file before proceeding further. I would
also advise inserting as many as possible of the figures inline (whether
linked or embedded). An inline figure is part of the flow of text and will
always stay where you put it in relation to the text. Don't add text
wrapping unless you need to wrap text to the side of it; wrapping above and
below can be faked.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Hi...

Thanks for your advice. I have started using a master document for this
project long before reading about the problems associated with the
concept. So far I have only been editing text and it works just fine,
but I will combine all subdocuments into a single one within the next
few days, just to play it on the safe side. I will be adding graphics
much later on.

I have never used inline figures before, and don't like them because
they move with text, so whenever I add a few more paragraphs, some of
them are inevitably pushed to the next page. However, I guess the
nuissance will be less compared to adding graphics otherwise, since all
I have to do to correct misplacements is copy and paste to an earlier
paragraph (compared to the nearly random rearrangements Word does
otherwise). So, I will try that too.

What is the best way for adding tables? Should I put them in text
boxes, or just add them inline, as well?

On a more general comment, I keep wondering how can people write entire
manuals or books in Word. Do you guys use a single document? It must be
a nightmare having 1,000 pages and hundreds of pictures and tables. Am
I missing something?

Thanks,

Dimitris

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Dimitris

wrote:
I have never used inline figures before, and don't like them because
they move with text, so whenever I add a few more paragraphs, some of
them are inevitably pushed to the next page. However, I guess the
nuissance will be less compared to adding graphics otherwise, since all
I have to do to correct misplacements is copy and paste to an earlier
paragraph (compared to the nearly random rearrangements Word does
otherwise). So, I will try that too.

Just make sure that the style you're using for your pictures is set to
"Keep with Next" (Paragraph property). This way, Word will not separate
the picture and following caption paragraph. Yes, if you have large
pictures, some big gaps will occur on the lower half of some pages of
your document. If you do not like that, ignore it till the end, then do
one final pagination run through your document.

What is the best way for adding tables? Should I put them in text
boxes, or just add them inline, as well?

Inline.

On a more general comment, I keep wondering how can people write entire
manuals or books in Word. Do you guys use a single document? It must be
a nightmare having 1,000 pages and hundreds of pictures and tables. Am
I missing something?

It sometimes is! :-)

But it's a nuissance to compile individual documents together, as well
(and you need good macros to keep your numbering straight).

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

To add to what Bob has said, so long as you don't add graphics till the end
(tables can be inserted as you go), it's not too bad. I usually insert the
figure captions (if any) or a text placeholder to indicate the approximate
position of the picture or graphic and then stick them in after editing is
complete. Inline graphics can be moved just as easily as text and much more
easily than wrapped ones (because they stay where they are put). If you want
a full-page graphic or table (especially a rotated one that requires a
section break), you'll have to fudge the text wrapping, but this, too, is
easily handled when editing is complete.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
Hi Dimitris

Approach to document design XP Tables 4 January 5th 06 08:00 PM
Hebrew Suggestions Dannyza Microsoft Word Help 2 November 21st 05 06:12 AM
training document template: columns? tables? trouble! sb Page Layout 4 October 4th 05 09:30 PM
Word's Document Map should detect headings in tables Kasama Microsoft Word Help 1 June 23rd 05 10:53 PM
template styles not applying correctly to document Kimmie B Microsoft Word Help 4 June 23rd 05 05:09 PM