Cindy M -WordMVP-

Default disconnect a data source

Hi John,

I have a merge document that I am opening up through custom software.
I want to be able to allow my clients to add merge fields from a data
source but not connect permanently to the data source. They can add
merge fields okay, but I'd like to use the merge field dialog to
insert the fields so that they don't have to know field names.
I have Word 2002 on XP.

It's simply not possible to use the built-in field list(s) without
being connected to a data source. Either you have to roll your own
form, provide a local secondary "data source" that basically has the
field names + one record, duplicating the field names (txt file, for
example). Or you have to let them connect to the real thing.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org