Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Gayla

Default Outline View at start: how to preserve levels of expansion

First post - apologies if topic covered ....

I have a version of Word on an old computer that opens my documents in
outline view exactly the way they were when I saved and closed them -
with the sections I'm working on expanded like I left them, and the
sections collapsed that I wanted collapsed.

On my new computer, with Word 2003, the document opens each time with
all levels expanded so that I have to go in and expand those sections I
want and get it into the form I like to work with each time I start.
I've checked out the Options box and haven't seen anything that will
help. Maybe someone has an add-in or something that will help or knows
why my documents won't stay the way I leave them?

Thanks so much,

Yours truly from thesis-writing purgatory,
Gayla

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

As far as I know, the only way to do this is with a couple of macros
in normal.dot:

Sub AutoOpen()
Dim v As View
Set v = ActiveWindow.View
If v.Type = wdOutlineView Or v.Type = wdMasterView Then
v.ShowHeading 3 'specify the level that you want
End If
End Sub

Sub AutoNew()
Dim v As View
Set v = ActiveWindow.View
If v.Type = wdOutlineView Or v.Type = wdMasterView Then
v.ShowHeading 3 'specify the level that you want
End If
End Sub

Note that the above macros assume that you want to show headings 1-3
in each document saved or created in Outline view. Although you can
edit the code to show more or less levels (change to a number between
1 and 9), it does *not* take care of situations where you want
different settings for different parts of the document. If this is
what you want, you'd better ask in a programming newsgroup instead.

If you need help installing the macros, see
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Gayla" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message

Note that the above macros assume that you want to show headings 1-3
in each document saved or created in Outline view.

Clarification: I meant to say, "[...] each document displayed in
Outline view as it is *opened* or created."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP