Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
MegaC

Default Global Find/Replace to get titles into TOC..!!

Hi all,

Note: My aplogies for my earlier multipost! Thanks to all help I
recieved!

I am writing a very looooong test plan (I am a verifier) and I have
about 100 test cases. What I need to do is do a global search and
replace to update each of the titles with an 'outline level of 3" (I
think this is correct) so that the titles will appear in the table of
contents' on page 2 of my document. Here is what I have done so far:

My titles look like the following (snipet):

Test ID (723) - Success Path - CLI Configure Acct-Interim-Interval
Timer
Test ID (724) - Session Release - 3GPP PCC - PCC end of call
Test ID (725) - Success Path - Session Cancelled - 3GPP PCC to 3GPP PCC

call session is cancelled by originator prior to successful set-up

All the titles are in white font on a blue background, so I can CTRL+H
and search on Format - Font - Font color = White, but what do I
replace them with so that they will all be updated codes that will be
picked up by my table of contents.

I tried doing this (with no luck) in the replace section:
CNTL+H
FORMAT - Paragraph
Alignment = Left, Outline Level = 3

It seems to do something, as it says that 100 entries have been
modified, but yet when I go to my TOC and hit F9 to update the entire
TOX, nothing is updated!!

Am I on the right track? What am I doing wrong?

HELP!
Derek

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Derek

MegaC wrote:
[...]

You need to make sure that your TOC actually compiles itself from
outline levels (and not, say, from certain styles). In your position, I
would certainly replace the found paragraphs with a certain style (say,
"Heading 3") and change the style according to your needs, but that's
not a precondition to solve your immediate problem. [It might be a
precondition for handling large documents better, though, using styles,
I mean ... :-)]

So, in short: try selecting the first character of your TOC (this will
select the whole TOC). Hit SHIFT-F9 (this should display the TOC field
code). Look up the field codes in Word's offline-Helf on the TOC field.
Post the field code again in here if necessary.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
MegaC

Hi Robert,

I did as you said, and when I hit SHIFT-F9, I get this:

{TOC \o "1-3" \h \z \u

What do I do now?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

MegaC wrote:
I did as you said, and when I hit SHIFT-F9, I get this:

{TOC \o "1-3" \h \z \u

OK, the \o switch gathers paragraphs that are formatted in Heading 1-3,
and the \u switch those where an outline level is set (manually or
through style).

IOW, _if_ your replace-run was successfull, _and_ your TOC is updated
(select it again and hit F9, maybe SHIFT-F9, too, if it still shows the
code), then the TOC should show those entries.

If not, go to one of those entries in the text and check under Format |
Paragraph in the Layout tab whether the outline level is indeed
Bodytext ...

Greetinx
Robert
--