Andrew Goodman

Default Mail Merged records need to go to SEPARATE documents

I have a mail merge to do that creates form letters for everyone at my
company. However, I need each person's form letter to be saved in a separate
file. Is there a way to have a mail merge take each merged record into a
separate document, rather than merge everything into one new document? As it
stands right now, I'm looking at merging the list one record at a time and
then saving each individual file, which needless to say would be quite
tedious. ANY help on this would be greatly appreciated.

NedF

Hi Graham,

I just posted a question regarding something similar to this, except I
need to print the individual letters in the merge separately in order to take
advantage of the folder option on our copier. Could this Macro be tweaked to
handle that. I'm not so hot with VB, but I can't figure out how to write
usuable macros in COBOL! Any help would be appreciated and probably save my
job.

Ned Forster

Andrew Goodman wrote:
I have a mail merge to do that creates form letters for everyone at my
company. However, I need each person's form letter to be saved in a
separate file. Is there a way to have a mail merge take each merged
record into a separate document, rather than merge everything into
one new document? As it stands right now, I'm looking at merging the
list one record at a time and then saving each individual file, which
needless to say would be quite tedious. ANY help on this would be
greatly appreciated.

Graham Mayor

Another of fellow MVP Doug Robbins handy macros will do this

Letters = ActiveDocument.Sections.Count
Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
Counter = 1
While Counter Letters
ActiveDocument.Sections.First.Range.Cut
Documents.Add
Selection.Paste
ActiveDocument.PrintOut
ActiveDocument.Close
SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges:=False,
Counter = Counter + 1
Wend

Andrew Goodman wrote:
I have a mail merge to do that creates form letters for everyone at
my company. However, I need each person's form letter to be saved
in a separate file. Is there a way to have a mail merge take each
merged record into a separate document, rather than merge
everything into
one new document? As it stands right now, I'm looking at merging
the list one record at a time and then saving each individual file,
which needless to say would be quite tedious. ANY help on this
would be greatly appreciated.

Doug Robbins

I think that Graham meant to give you this one:

Dim i As Long
For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Sections.Count
ActiveDocument.PrintOut Range:=wdPrintFromTo, From:="s" & i, To:="s" & i
Next i

But wait a minute, I just answered the same question in a later post from
you.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP