Sheila D

Default Yet another DDE question!

Hi

I am using Win XP, Word 2003 and Access XP/2002 and have the apparenty
common problem with linking to a parameter query in Access. I have tried the
Confirm Conversion at Open route which allows me to choose MS Access database
via DDE BUT I then get the message 'could not re-establish a DDE connection
to MS Access'

So my question is - is this an incompatibility problem, a Windows problem or
what. Not sure where the DDE converter comes from - Windows or Office but
can't find anything on Office 2003 CD to help.

I have a 2nd PC running Win XP and Office XP and got the same query to work
on that using DDE connection route and both machines are up to date with SP2
so don't think any difference in Windows set up. Any help would be much
appreciated.

Sheila
Peter Jamieson

I would look at the following article:

DDE is an old component of Windows (to all intents and purposes). It isn't
really a format converter, but is a set of facilities for program-to-program
communication. In theory, DDE has been superseded by other technologies
(e.g., OLE Automation) but in practice it is still sometimes the only way to
do certain things. Unfortunately, it also seems rather flaky (on most of the
systems I've worked on it has been OK, but once it goes wrong it seems to go
/really wrong.

Peter Jamieson

"Sheila D" wrote in message
[...]

Sheila D

Hi Peter

Thanks for that but unfortunately did not help as I have no quotation marks
and database is shared. I guess this is something new in Word 2003 as I have
it working fine in 2002. Maybe if I upgrade to Access 2003 at some point it
will resolve!

"Sheila D" wrote in message
[...]

upside-down question mark? jeninboden Microsoft Word Help 3 November 8th 09 04:51 PM
use a 'question mark cursor' to get help me Microsoft Word Help 1 January 17th 05 12:32 AM
When I type a question in HELP I can't connect to online help wikegolfa Microsoft Word Help 0 January 8th 05 05:37 PM
Font question? SJH Microsoft Word Help 4 January 6th 05 10:54 AM
How can you type an upside down question mark? mel Microsoft Word Help 2 December 14th 04 05:25 PM