Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
David Gibbons

Default Word 2002 slow printing multiple copies

All my single-page Word 2002 documents are slow to print multiple copies
with my Dell 1100 laser printer. The files are 50K-300K long. I am running
Windows XP, have 50GB hard disk space free and have 512MB RAM. Other files
(eg EXCEL or JPEG up to 1.5 MB) are fine.
Can I change anything? Any help would be appreciated
David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi David

David Gibbons wrote:
All my single-page Word 2002 documents are slow to print multiple copies
with my Dell 1100 laser printer. The files are 50K-300K long. I am running
Windows XP, have 50GB hard disk space free and have 512MB RAM. Other files
(eg EXCEL or JPEG up to 1.5 MB) are fine.
Can I change anything? Any help would be appreciated

Are you printing your copies sorted (i.e.: p1, p2, ..., pn, p1, p2, ...)
or not (i.e.: p1, p1, ..., p1, p2, p2, ...)?

I understand that you gain speed with printing copies only in the latter
part (for the cost of having to sort the output manually, of course
:-)). Well, that applies as long as the printer is unable to hold all
pages of the printjob in memory, I presume.

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
David Gibbons

No. I'm only printing one-page files but I ask the printer for about 20
copies of it. After the usual delay for the first page it delays AGAIN for
each page afterwards. No such delay with multiple copies of other one-page
files such as JPEG or EXCEL. Does Word 2002 load anything else when you
print?
David

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
Hi David

David Gibbons wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
David Gibbons

A workaround I find is to load the Word files into the Sun Microsystems
OpenOffice writer. This prints multiple copies perfectly.
David

.uk...

David Gibbons wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi David

Glad you found a solution that works for you.

David Gibbons wrote:
No. I'm only printing one-page files but I ask the printer for about 20
copies of it.

Yes, but _where_ are you asking it, in which dialogue? IOW, is it Word
that already knows about the copies, or only the printer?

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
David Gibbons

It is the combination of WORD and the Dell 1100 laser printer. The same file
will print multiple copies on an Epson Stylus Photo 950, (which I normally
reserve for colour printing). In both OOW and in WORD I normally enter the
number of copies needed in the printer dialogue. It's no problem now I've
got a solution, but the cause is a mystery