YaHootie

Default Create a Envelope Mailmerge

As a newbie I'm having trouble trying to develop a unique envelope mailing
routine. I want to list First Name, Surname followed by Married Name if
married and a female. Using Word 2003 I have set up a Excel database with
the fields; Fname, Lname, S_Lname and Sex (M or F) to test on. I am unble to
get my syntax correct in the MERGEFIELD area to accompolish this feature and
seeking assistance to help me. Would someone give the exact syntax I would
use?

Thank you very much in advance.
Doug Robbins

As you do not have a field in which to indicate if the female is married, I
assume that there is only an entry in the S_Lname field if that is the case.
Therefore, the data from the S_Lname field need only be displayed if it is
not empty

The easiest way for you to construct this will be first, dispense with the
mailmerge wizard and from the View menu, select Toolbars and the check the
Mailmerge toolbar item so that toolbar is displayed. Then use the Insert
Merge fields button on that toolbar to insert the Fname and Lname fields and
then form the Word Fields button on the toolbar, insert an If...then...else
field, selecting the S_Lname field as the one whose value you want to check
and selecting the "is blank" condition. Initially, insert and A in the
control for the true condition and insert "" in the false condition. After
closing that dialog, press Ctrl + F9 to toggle on the field codes in the
document and in place of the A, insert the S_Lname mergefield from the
Mergefields button on the toolbar. Use Ctrl+F9 as many times as required to
hide the field codes {}.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"YaHootie" wrote in message
As a newbie I'm having trouble trying to develop a unique envelope mailing
routine. I want to list First Name, Surname followed by Married Name if
married and a female. Using Word 2003 I have set up a Excel database with
the fields; Fname, Lname, S_Lname and Sex (M or F) to test on. I am unble
get my syntax correct in the MERGEFIELD area to accompolish this feature
and
seeking assistance to help me. Would someone give the exact syntax I
would
use?

Thank you very much in advance.

YaHootie

Thank you very much for your response Doug. Being a Newbie at Mail Merge
programing, MS did not make it clear without a lot of searching that the I
had to use Ctl+F9 to insert the brackets. I was just typing them in.
Problem is resolved!