NBillups

Default What's the difference between ViewMergedData and MergeToNewDocume.

I am trying to find out what the difference is between the View Merged Data
icon and the Merge to New Document icon . . . both are supposed to allow the
information to be viewed in the text of the mail merge document, yet when I
click View Merged Data, my information will not Save As, unless I also save
the data source in the original document, which I don't want to do. When I
click Merge to New Document, it works, and I understand why that is--what I
don't understand is why the View Merged Data will not allow me to save the
document (original, data source, and merged) under a different file name
(Save As) . . . the data is deleted unless I save it to the original. Thank
you for your help.
Doug Robbins

View Mailmerge data is something like Print Preview - Not permanent. You
can use it to print the result of the merging of a single record, but to
complete the mailmerge process, you must execute the merge either to a
printer or a new document if you need to save a copy of the result of the
merge.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP