Joanna

Default mail merge error using excel

I'm using Word 2002 and am running into problems doing mail merge with data
from Excel. Sometimes (but not always) when I try to use a workbook that has
more than one "named" sheet in it, I'm unable to open the sheet and the whole
thing falls apart. If I go into the workbook, copy each sheet and accept the
default naming convention (sheet1, etc.) and then delete all the "named"
sheets, everything works just fine. It's really frustrating - if I didn't
need to "name" the multiple sheets I wouldn't name them to begin with.

Anyone run into the same thing and manage to whip it into submission?

Thanks
UpTooLate

I don't know if this is the same problem, but here are a couple of notes...

1. Since my first days with Word/Excel (v. 97 and earlier), I've found that
things work better when the sheet I'm trying to merge from is the first (left
most) sheet in the workbook. May be superstion at this point, but I've seen
it help on current systems within the last few months. Go figure.

2. With Word/Excel 2002, I've found that sometimes even if there is only one
named sheet (and no named areas) more than one choice will be presented when
I select the data source for the merge. Trial and error says to select, say
"Members$" over "Members" or "Members_", but I don't have enough data to say
if that's consistent.

Best wishes!