Spring Velazquez, Widener University

Default Zip code merging when 5 AND 9 digits

Our academic software has a program that allows us to run letters using a
macro program (WINTEG.WORD) between the software and Word. One of the
problems is that the leading "0" is lost during the process. Have visited
www.gmayor.com for solutions. Using {MERGEFIELD Zip\# "00000"} doesn't work
when there are 9 digits in the zip code. I have tried to use the {IF
{MERGEFIELD...} to add trailing zeroes to the 5 digit field suggestion on the
site also. Once I update the field though, all I get is MERGEFIELD rather
than LrZip and the data doesn't merge. Could this be a syntax issue?

My field is as follows { IF { MERGEFIELD LrZip } "9999" "{ MERGEFIELD
LrZip\# "00000'-'0000"}""{MERGEFIELD LrZip\# "00000"}-0000" }

Any suggestions?
Peter Jamieson

The main thing is that all the {} have to be the special field braces that
you can insert using ctrl-F9. The ordinary ones on the keyboard do not work.

Peter Jamieson

"Spring Velazquez, Widener University" Spring Velazquez, Widener
wrote in message
Our academic software has a program that allows us to run letters using a
macro program (WINTEG.WORD) between the software and Word. One of the
problems is that the leading "0" is lost during the process. Have visited
www.gmayor.com for solutions. Using {MERGEFIELD Zip\# "00000"} doesn't
work
when there are 9 digits in the zip code. I have tried to use the {IF
{MERGEFIELD...} to add trailing zeroes to the 5 digit field suggestion on
the
site also. Once I update the field though, all I get is MERGEFIELD rather
than LrZip and the data doesn't merge. Could this be a syntax issue?

My field is as follows { IF { MERGEFIELD LrZip } "9999" "{ MERGEFIELD
LrZip\# "00000'-'0000"}""{MERGEFIELD LrZip\# "00000"}-0000" }

Any suggestions?

Spring Velazquez, Widener University

Peter - you are a genius! I haven't delved that much into programming in Word
so I was not aware of that. Now I'm going to push my luck - some of the zip
codes that come in already have the +4 - using the syntax below, it's
actually replacing the imported +4 zip with 4 zeroes. How could I arrange
this to look at the +4, if it's there leave it, but if it's not add the
zeroes. This all started because of the leading zeroes in my zip code being
stripped!

Spring

wrote in message
Our academic software has a program that allows us to run letters using a
macro program (WINTEG.WORD) between the software and Word. One of the
problems is that the leading "0" is lost during the process. Have visited
www.gmayor.com for solutions. Using {MERGEFIELD Zip\# "00000"} doesn't
work
when there are 9 digits in the zip code. I have tried to use the {IF
{MERGEFIELD...} to add trailing zeroes to the 5 digit field suggestion on
the
site also. Once I update the field though, all I get is MERGEFIELD rather
than LrZip and the data doesn't merge. Could this be a syntax issue?

My field is as follows { IF { MERGEFIELD LrZip } "9999" "{ MERGEFIELD
LrZip\# "00000'-'0000"}""{MERGEFIELD LrZip\# "00000"}-0000" }

Any suggestions?

Spring Velazquez, Widener University

Graham - I did follow the instructions on your website. What is happening is
that when a nine-digit zip code is already present - the +4 numbers are
replaced with 4 zeroes. Any suggestions?

Spring

wrote in message
Our academic software has a program that allows us to run letters
using a macro program (WINTEG.WORD) between the software and Word.
One of the problems is that the leading "0" is lost during the
process. Have visited
www.gmayor.com for solutions. Using
{MERGEFIELD Zip\# "00000"} doesn't work
when there are 9 digits in the zip code. I have tried to use the {IF
{MERGEFIELD...} to add trailing zeroes to the 5 digit field
suggestion on the
site also. Once I update the field though, all I get is MERGEFIELD
rather than LrZip and the data doesn't merge. Could this be a
syntax issue?

My field is as follows { IF { MERGEFIELD LrZip } "9999" "{
MERGEFIELD LrZip\# "00000'-'0000"}""{MERGEFIELD LrZip\#
"00000"}-0000" }

Any suggestions?

Graham Mayor

Forget the conditional field for the moment - what happens with your 9 digit
numbers when you insert the following fields?

{ MERGEFIELD LrZip \# "00000'-'0000"}
and
{ MERGEFIELD LrZip}

wrote in message
Our academic software has a program that allows us to run letters
using a macro program (WINTEG.WORD) between the software and Word.
One of the problems is that the leading "0" is lost during the
process. Have visited
www.gmayor.com for solutions. Using
{MERGEFIELD Zip\# "00000"} doesn't work
when there are 9 digits in the zip code. I have tried to use the
{IF {MERGEFIELD...} to add trailing zeroes to the 5 digit field
suggestion on the
site also. Once I update the field though, all I get is MERGEFIELD
rather than LrZip and the data doesn't merge. Could this be a
syntax issue?

My field is as follows { IF { MERGEFIELD LrZip } "9999" "{
MERGEFIELD LrZip\# "00000'-'0000"}""{MERGEFIELD LrZip\#
"00000"}-0000" }

Any suggestions?

Spring Velazquez, Widener University

Graham,

When I changed LrZip to {MERGEFIELD LrZip\# "00000'-'0000"} I get the
following problems with my zip codes:

00001-9063 - the zip code is led by 4 leading zeroes. When you say and
{MERGEFIELD LrZip} should that be a part of the same zip code field? In other
words, when I toggle the field LrZip should it say: {MERGEFIELD LrZip\#
"00000'-'0000"} and {MERGEFIELD LrZip} as the same field? When I just leave
the field as {MERGEFIELD LrZip} I get the +4 digits fine on the zip code, but
that is when the leading zeroes are lost.

Spring

wrote in message
Our academic software has a program that allows us to run letters
using a macro program (WINTEG.WORD) between the software and Word.
One of the problems is that the leading "0" is lost during the
process. Have visited
www.gmayor.com for solutions. Using
{MERGEFIELD Zip\# "00000"} doesn't work
when there are 9 digits in the zip code. I have tried to use the
{IF {MERGEFIELD...} to add trailing zeroes to the 5 digit field
suggestion on the
site also. Once I update the field though, all I get is MERGEFIELD
rather than LrZip and the data doesn't merge. Could this be a
syntax issue?

My field is as follows { IF { MERGEFIELD LrZip } "9999" "{
MERGEFIELD LrZip\# "00000'-'0000"}""{MERGEFIELD LrZip\#
"00000"}-0000" }

Any suggestions?

Graham Mayor

I meant use the field twice - once with and once without the switch to
establish what occurs when the raw data is merged, but I want to know what
happens with 9 digit zips as it was these that you were having problems with
using the codes from my web site.

wrote in message
Our academic software has a program that allows us to run
letters using a macro program (WINTEG.WORD) between the
software and Word. One of the problems is that the leading "0"
is lost during the process. Have visited
www.gmayor.com for
solutions. Using {MERGEFIELD Zip\# "00000"} doesn't work
when there are 9 digits in the zip code. I have tried to use the
{IF {MERGEFIELD...} to add trailing zeroes to the 5 digit field
suggestion on the
site also. Once I update the field though, all I get is
MERGEFIELD rather than LrZip and the data doesn't merge.
Could this be a syntax issue?

My field is as follows { IF { MERGEFIELD LrZip } "9999" "{
MERGEFIELD LrZip\# "00000'-'0000"}""{MERGEFIELD LrZip\#
"00000"}-0000" }

Any suggestions?

Spring Velazquez, Widener University

Okay, when I use the switch, my zip codes are led by zeroes so the zip code
of 19063 becomes 00001-9603. When I don't put the switch in, 19063 is fine,
19063-4514 is fine, but zip code 08632 becomes 8632.

wrote in message
Our academic software has a program that allows us to run
letters using a macro program (WINTEG.WORD) between the
software and Word. One of the problems is that the leading "0"
is lost during the process. Have visited
www.gmayor.com for
solutions. Using {MERGEFIELD Zip\# "00000"} doesn't work
when there are 9 digits in the zip code. I have tried to use the
{IF {MERGEFIELD...} to add trailing zeroes to the 5 digit field
suggestion on the
site also. Once I update the field though, all I get is
MERGEFIELD rather than LrZip and the data doesn't merge.
Could this be a syntax issue?

My field is as follows { IF { MERGEFIELD LrZip } "9999" "{
MERGEFIELD LrZip\# "00000'-'0000"}""{MERGEFIELD LrZip\#
"00000"}-0000" }

Any suggestions?

Doug Robbins

With the following field construction

{IF { MERGEFIELD ZIP } "99999" { MERGEFIELD ZIP \# "00000'-'0000" } {
MERGEFIELD ZIP \# "00000" } }

19063 appears as 19063
190634514 appears as 19063-4514

and

8632 appears as 08632

Note, in your original post, you mention using "9999" rather than
"99999"

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Spring Velazquez, Widener University"
osoft.com wrote in
message ...

wrote in message
Our academic software has a program that allows us to run
letters using a macro program (WINTEG.WORD) between the
software and Word. One of the problems is that the leading "0"
is lost during the process. Have visited
www.gmayor.com for
solutions. Using {MERGEFIELD Zip\# "00000"} doesn't work
when there are 9 digits in the zip code. I have tried to use the
{IF {MERGEFIELD...} to add trailing zeroes to the 5 digit field
suggestion on the
site also. Once I update the field though, all I get is
MERGEFIELD rather than LrZip and the data doesn't merge.
Could this be a syntax issue?

My field is as follows { IF { MERGEFIELD LrZip } "9999" "{
MERGEFIELD LrZip\# "00000'-'0000"}""{MERGEFIELD LrZip\#
"00000"}-0000" }

Any suggestions?

Graham Mayor

Doug Robbins wrote:
Note, in your original post, you mention using "9999" rather than
"99999"

Damn, I hadn't spotted the missing '9' in the original question.

Spring Velazquez, Widener University

The "9999" was simply a typo on my part. I apologize for the confusion. The
actual field has "99999"

Something interesting to note - when I select Update field - the field is
actually removed. It's blank - when I don't update the field and simply
toggle the fields, the following is the error message I get when I have the
conditional switch in:

Error! Unknown op code for conditional.

With just the single switch in, I still get the leading zeroes in the zip
code.

Spring

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Doug Robbins wrote:
Note, in your original post, you mention using "9999" rather than
"99999"

Damn, I hadn't spotted the missing '9' in the original question.

Doug Robbins

At some point in the process, there's a bit of simple arithmetice being
performed - 19083-5008 = 14075.

Do an Edit Replace on the datasource to get rid of the - so that the zip
codes are of the form 190835008.

You have not mentioned in what software the datasource is located. If
necessary, use a catalog or directory type mailmerge in Word to get it into
the form of a Word Table so that you can use Edit Replace on it.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Spring Velazquez, Widener University"
osoft.com wrote in
message ...
Just another note here - when using the conditional switch to preserve
existing 9-digit zip codes, the zip code -0000.
Strange no?