Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Boe

Default Creating an index table with links?

Hello,

I'm not sure if word has a certain capability or not - I've never tried
anything fancy in Word. I'm running Office 2003. I'd like to make a word
document similar to certain long web pages. It would have an index at the
top and when you clicked on it, it would bring you to the section of the
document that uses that is linked to that index.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

What you are describing is a table of contents (TOC); in Word TOCs are
hyperlinked by default. See
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

"Boe" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm not sure if word has a certain capability or not - I've never tried
anything fancy in Word. I'm running Office 2003. I'd like to make a word
document similar to certain long web pages. It would have an index at the
top and when you clicked on it, it would bring you to the section of the
document that uses that is linked to that index.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Boe

Thanks! Will Word let me easily convert it to a working HTML where the
links still work?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
What you are describing is a table of contents (TOC); in Word TOCs are
hyperlinked by default. See
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

so
all may benefit.

"Boe" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm not sure if word has a certain capability or not - I've never tried
anything fancy in Word. I'm running Office 2003. I'd like to make a
word
document similar to certain long web pages. It would have an index at
the
top and when you clicked on it, it would bring you to the section of the
document that uses that is linked to that index.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Yes. By default Word 2000 and above create the entire TOC entry as a
hyperlink. The default is also to suppress page numbers when the doc is
saved as HTML (so just the hyperlinked entry is displayed). If you disable
this option, the page numbers are still linked (as they are in all versions
of Word).

"Boe" wrote in message
Thanks! Will Word let me easily convert it to a working HTML where the
links still work?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
What you are describing is a table of contents (TOC); in Word TOCs are
hyperlinked by default. See
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

newsgroup
so