Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Charles Kenyon

Default Table of Authorities - Headings / Categories - Switches

I am working on a brief where I need a TOA that is broken down into cases
from within my state and those from other jurisdictions. In marking the
entries, I am marking the in-state cases as "cases" (1) and out-of-state
cases as "8". In my TOA, I attempted to caption these using the \h switch
without any success.

{ TOA \h "Cases from Other Jurisdictions" \c "8" }

What I get is "8" as a heading instead of "Cases from Other Jurisdictions."

Is there any way to do this, or do I just have to unlink the field and edit
the result?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I've never used a TOA, so I'm not sure how this works (even after reading
Word's Help on TOA and TA fields), but does anything different happen if you
omit the quotes around "8"? From the Help, it appears that the \c category
switch is *not* quoted in the TA field, but the examples do show it quoted
after the \h switch in the TOA field, so it looks like you've got it right.
I'm just wondering if you can have custom headings or if the ones that seem
to be hard-coded in Word are the only allowable ones.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in message
I am working on a brief where I need a TOA that is broken down into cases
from within my state and those from other jurisdictions. In marking the
entries, I am marking the in-state cases as "cases" (1) and out-of-state
cases as "8". In my TOA, I attempted to caption these using the \h switch
without any success.

{ TOA \h "Cases from Other Jurisdictions" \c "8" }

What I get is "8" as a heading instead of "Cases from Other

Jurisdictions."

Is there any way to do this, or do I just have to unlink the field and

edit
the result?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Charles Kenyon

Thanks Suzanne,

I've been trying this for quite a while, just typing over the top in my
final copy. Just thought I would ask in case someone else had ideas. I
played with it some more. The quotation marks don't seem to matter, and
moving the proposed text after the 8 didn't help either. As far as I'm
concerned, it is still a great feature, especially the auto marking of short
cites.
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I've never used a TOA, so I'm not sure how this works (even after reading
Word's Help on TOA and TA fields), but does anything different happen if
you
omit the quotes around "8"? From the Help, it appears that the \c category
switch is *not* quoted in the TA field, but the examples do show it quoted
after the \h switch in the TOA field, so it looks like you've got it
right.
I'm just wondering if you can have custom headings or if the ones that
seem
to be hard-coded in Word are the only allowable ones.

so
all may benefit.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in message
I am working on a brief where I need a TOA that is broken down into cases
from within my state and those from other jurisdictions. In marking the
entries, I am marking the in-state cases as "cases" (1) and out-of-state
cases as "8". In my TOA, I attempted to caption these using the \h switch
without any success.

{ TOA \h "Cases from Other Jurisdictions" \c "8" }

What I get is "8" as a heading instead of "Cases from Other

Jurisdictions."

Is there any way to do this, or do I just have to unlink the field and

edit
the result?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Dori

Try this:

When you have the Mark Citation pop-up box open (after doing alt-shift-I),
click the "category" button.

Highlight "8" (or whichever one you want to change).

In the "replace with" box type whatever you want to call your new category.

Click "replace" and then "OK."

I hope this helps.

--
Dori