Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
David Gibbons

Default hyperlink within footer

I wish to embed a hyperlink in the footer of a Word document (Word XP). How
can I do this? Insert / hyperlink doesn't seem to work.
David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Herb Tyson [MVP]

Insert - Hyperlink should work fine in a footer in Word XP/2002 (as well as
2003; haven't checked earlier versions, but I've never seen it NOT work).

What happens when you try? Are you getting an error message?

If all else fails, you could insert it into the main part of the document,
then cut/paste into the footer. But, I can't fathom why it's not working
directly.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"David Gibbons" wrote in message
. uk...
I wish to embed a hyperlink in the footer of a Word document (Word XP). How
can I do this? Insert / hyperlink doesn't seem to work.
David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
David Gibbons

What happens is this. If I follow the procedure, the "text to display"
appears on the footer OK. But when I convert the file to a PDF it is no
longer a hyperlink although others in the body of the text are still fine.
Is this a problem with my PDF writer? I am using Visage eXPert PDF version
3.
David

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
Insert - Hyperlink should work fine in a footer in Word XP/2002 (as well
as 2003; haven't checked earlier versions, but I've never seen it NOT
work).

What happens when you try? Are you getting an error message?

If all else fails, you could insert it into the main part of the document,
then cut/paste into the footer. But, I can't fathom why it's not working
directly.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"David Gibbons" wrote in message
. uk...
I wish to embed a hyperlink in the footer of a Word document (Word XP).
How can I do this? Insert / hyperlink doesn't seem to work.
David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I don't think hyperlinks work if you convert a word doc to PDF.
However, you can create the header and
footer dirctly in the PDF file instead. Also if you want the hyperlink
to appear on every page in the PDF you could use a form field. Once you
create the first one right click on it and you can duplicate the field
on every PDF page instantly (I think!).
Lynn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Herb Tyson [MVP]

I'm not familiar with Visage eXPert PDF. I use Adobe Acrobat Professional
7.0.7, and hyperlinks in footers (headers and body, too) work just fine when
I create a .PDF from a Word file.

You might check your PDF software's settings to see if hyperlinks in footers
are somehow turned off.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"David Gibbons" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
David Gibbons

Thanks Herb. I've found several different PDF writers handle hyperlinks
quite differently - some not at all! I'll try the one you mentioned and
will report back when I can get hold of a copy.