Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
aamixy

Default What is my file reformatted in another computer?

I have a long document (172pages) in which I defined some of my own
styles
such as 'Body' (24pt line spacing). However, on my boss' laptop, the
line
spacing is changed to single space; other headings have been changed
too. We both use Windows XP sp2 and Microsoft Office 2003. My file
reads all right on other computers.

Can anyone suggest some way to solve this problem? What could be
the causes? Thanks a lot!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
aamixy

forgot to say that I don't use template (.dot file).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Charles Kenyon

First, you do use a .dot file. You just don't know it. Every document in
Word is based on a template; that is how it works. If you don't pick one, it
is based on normal.dot. I suspect your document has an option checked under
Tools Templates and Add-Ins to update styles. If this is correct, uncheck
it. Then give it to your boss.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"aamixy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a long document (172pages) in which I defined some of my own
styles
such as 'Body' (24pt line spacing). However, on my boss' laptop, the
line
spacing is changed to single space; other headings have been changed
too. We both use Windows XP sp2 and Microsoft Office 2003. My file
reads all right on other computers.

Can anyone suggest some way to solve this problem? What could be
the causes? Thanks a lot!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
aamixy

Aha, you are right. I meant I don't use any personal .dot
files. I'll give it to my boss and see. Thanks a lot.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
aamixy

Works! Appreciate your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

aamixy wrote:
Works! Appreciate your help!

If that means that you copied your normal.dot to your boss' computer --
I doubt that's the remedy Charles had in mind ... ;-)

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
aamixy

I did what he suggested. :-) I unchecked all the boxes related to
'Automatically update'
stuff.

It is still very strange: even if I leave those boxes
checked---automatically update, my
file works on all other computers.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Charles Kenyon

Those computers have not modified the styles in their normal.dot templates.
That automatically update box should pretty much always be left unchecked,
mostly because of the problem you ran into.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"aamixy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I did what he suggested. :-) I unchecked all the boxes related to
'Automatically update'
stuff.

It is still very strange: even if I leave those boxes
checked---automatically update, my
file works on all other computers.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
aamixy

Thanks. I now can understand the file was automatically updated
on my boss' computer; but still don't know why they are not on all
other computers.

Aamixy