Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Adrian

Default Char Char1 style added when saving as dot template

Hi,

Whenever I save my Word doc as a template (.dot) it adds a new style to the
style list called "Char Char1 Char Char Char1 Char". In the Modify Style
window, it says the style type is "paragraph and character". Furthermore,
there are a number of instances of text where this style is applied.

This problem is repeatable.

I can delete the style from the style list without seeming to adversely
affect the text to which it is applied, but it reappears when I open the
file again.

I thought that I could get rid of this with a registry tweak I found in
another post, but it seems that that was for a slightly different problem as
it doesn't solve mine.

Any ideas? After a long time setting up my templates this is not what I
need.

Cheers,

Adrian

MS Word 2003 (11.6568.6568) SP2 on Windows XP SP2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

See:

Text that was formatted with a paragraph style is formatted with a
character style when you paste the text to another document in Word
2003 or in Word 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902064

A macro solution is suggested at
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/cindymeis...p.htm#CharStyl.

Note that it might be easier to recreate the template from a fresh
blank file. Make sure to apply paragraph styles to entire paragraphs
(not to selected parts of a paragraph).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Adrian

Thanks Stefan, but the MS hotfix is for Word 2002, not 2003.

In any case, I managed to get rid of the unwanted style (for good it seems)
as follows:

i. Back up original doc to new location.
ii. Save DOC as RTF (macros get obliterated)
iii. Save RTF as DOC
iv. Copy macros over from the backed up doc to new doc
v. Make DOT template from DOC file.

Result: unwanted char styles do not appear in DOT file (or in any Docs
created from it).

Cheers,

Adrian

"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]