Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Don Don is offline

Default Find and replace

I have a list of names and email addresses, for example:

Bill Smith

I want to delete the email addresses, leaving just the list of names.
Tried using * in Find (leaving Replace blank), but that deletes
everything. Must be missing something?

Checked out

still not sure of the solution...

--

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.

....Eric Hoffer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

1. Press Alt+F9 to reveal field codes. Each email address will look like
this: { HYPERLINK " }.

2. Ctrl+H to open the Replace dialog.

3. In the "Find what" box, type: ^19 HYPERLINK "mailto:

4. Leave the "Replace with" box empty.

5. Replace All.

Don't forget to press Alt+F9 to toggle field code display back or you'll get
unexpected results the next time you open a document containing fields.

"Don" wrote in message
I have a list of names and email addresses, for example:

Bill Smith

I want to delete the email addresses, leaving just the list of names.
Tried using * in Find (leaving Replace blank), but that deletes
everything. Must be missing something?

Checked out

still not sure of the solution...

--

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.

...Eric Hoffer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
50 Years of Programming Experience 50 Years of Programming Experience is offline

Hi Don,
I copied all the names and email addresses into Excel. Excell puts the
names in the first column and the addresses into the second column. Then you
can copy out the first column, and paste it back into your word document,

"Don" wrote:

I have a list of names and email addresses, for example:

Bill Smith

I want to delete the email addresses, leaving just the list of names.
Tried using * in Find (leaving Replace blank), but that deletes
everything. Must be missing something?

Checked out

still not sure of the solution...

--

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.

....Eric Hoffer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Don Don is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I have a list of names and email addresses, for example:
Bill Smith
I want to delete the email addresses, leaving just the list of names.
Tried using * in Find (leaving Replace blank), but that deletes
everything. Must be missing something?

1. Press Alt+F9 to reveal field codes. Each email address will look like
this: { HYPERLINK " }.

Thanks Suzanne, but nothing happens when I press ALT-F9. ?

--

Advertising is the science of arresting the human intelligence long enough to get money from it.

....Stephen Leacock
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Don Don is offline

oft.com wrote:
I have a list of names and email addresses, for example:
Bill Smith
I want to delete the email addresses, leaving just the list of names.
Tried using * in Find (leaving Replace blank), but that deletes
everything. Must be missing something?

I copied all the names and email addresses into Excel. Excell puts the
names in the first column and the addresses into the second column. Then you
can copy out the first column, and paste it back into your word document,

hmm, doesn't seem to work for me - everything ends up in column A.

--

Advertising is the science of arresting the human intelligence long enough to get money from it.

....Stephen Leacock

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

It would seem that you emails are just plain text and not hyperlinks like
those in this message. When you double-click on the addresses, does it open
up a blank addressed email? Almost certainly not for the reasons stated.

Maybe something as crude as a vertical selection and then cutting and
pasting the names into a new document. To make sure that the name are well
separated from the email addresses, use Find and Replace to search for
space and replace with tab. Then select all the rows and insert a tab on
the ruler so that all the addresses move well clear of the names. Now you
can do a vertical selection of the names column (using the Alt key) and cut
and paste (or copy and paste) into a new document. It's crude but it will
work.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

oft.com wrote:
I have a list of names and email addresses, for example:
Bill Smith
I want to delete the email addresses, leaving just the list of names.
Tried using * in Find (leaving Replace blank), but that deletes
everything. Must be missing something?

I copied all the names and email addresses into Excel. Excell puts the
names in the first column and the addresses into the second column. Then
you
can copy out the first column, and paste it back into your word document,

hmm, doesn't seem to work for me - everything ends up in column A.

--

Advertising is the science of arresting the human intelligence long enough
to get money from it.

...Stephen Leacock

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

As Terry says, this indicates that they're not hyperlinks. If his method
doesn't work for you, then try this:

1. Go to Format | AutoFormat; click Options.

2. Check the box for "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks." You can
leave other settings as they are or clear them all.

3. Click OK to close the Options dialog and OK again to run the AutoFormat.

4. Proceed with the Replace operation described before.

"Don" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I have a list of names and email addresses, for example:
Bill Smith
I want to delete the email addresses, leaving just the list of names.
Tried using * in Find (leaving Replace blank), but that deletes
everything. Must be missing something?

1. Press Alt+F9 to reveal field codes. Each email address will look like
this: { HYPERLINK " }.

Thanks Suzanne, but nothing happens when I press ALT-F9. ?

--

Advertising is the science of arresting the human intelligence long enough

to get money from it.

...Stephen Leacock

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Of course, yet another way to skin the cat! Good Idea Suzanne.

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
As Terry says, this indicates that they're not hyperlinks. If his method
doesn't work for you, then try this:

1. Go to Format | AutoFormat; click Options.

2. Check the box for "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks." You can
leave other settings as they are or clear them all.

3. Click OK to close the Options dialog and OK again to run the
AutoFormat.

4. Proceed with the Replace operation described before.

so
all may benefit.

"Don" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I have a list of names and email addresses, for example:
Bill Smith
I want to delete the email addresses, leaving just the list of names.
Tried using * in Find (leaving Replace blank), but that deletes
everything. Must be missing something?

1. Press Alt+F9 to reveal field codes. Each email address will look like
this: { HYPERLINK " }.

Thanks Suzanne, but nothing happens when I press ALT-F9. ?

--

Advertising is the science of arresting the human intelligence long
enough

to get money from it.

...Stephen Leacock

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Don Don is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
As Terry says, this indicates that they're not hyperlinks. If his method
doesn't work for you, then try this:
1. Go to Format | AutoFormat; click Options.
2. Check the box for "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks." You can
leave other settings as they are or clear them all.
3. Click OK to close the Options dialog and OK again to run the AutoFormat.
4. Proceed with the Replace operation described before.

Thanks Suzanne. The box for hyperlinks is already checked. When I
copy/paste the list of names and email addresses into Word, the
addresses do not show up in green, they look just like the rest of the
text.

"Don" wrote in message
.. .
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I have a list of names and email addresses, for example:
Bill Smith
I want to delete the email addresses, leaving just the list of names.
Tried using * in Find (leaving Replace blank), but that deletes
everything. Must be missing something?

1. Press Alt+F9 to reveal field codes. Each email address will look like
this: { HYPERLINK " }.

Thanks Suzanne, but nothing happens when I press ALT-F9. ?

--

Advertising is the science of arresting the human intelligence long enough

to get money from it.

...Stephen Leacock

--

Advertising is the science of arresting the human intelligence long enough to get money from it.

....Stephen Leacock
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Don Don is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote:
It would seem that you emails are just plain text and not hyperlinks like
those in this message. When you double-click on the addresses, does it open
up a blank addressed email?

Nope, it's just plain text. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I didn't
realize at first that it showed up here as a hyperlink.

Maybe something as crude as a vertical selection and then cutting and
pasting the names into a new document. To make sure that the name are well
separated from the email addresses, use Find and Replace to search for
space and replace with tab. Then select all the rows and insert a tab on
the ruler so that all the addresses move well clear of the names. Now you
can do a vertical selection of the names column (using the Alt key) and cut
and paste (or copy and paste) into a new document. It's crude but it will
work.

Thanks, that works. I never knew about vertical selection, it's
pretty handy!

--

Advertising is the science of arresting the human intelligence long enough to get money from it.

....Stephen Leacock

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You have to run format autoformat and then check with ALT+F9. Simply
pasting doesn't cut it.

Don wrote:
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
As Terry says, this indicates that they're not hyperlinks. If his
method doesn't work for you, then try this:
1. Go to Format | AutoFormat; click Options.
2. Check the box for "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks."
You can leave other settings as they are or clear them all.
3. Click OK to close the Options dialog and OK again to run the
AutoFormat.
4. Proceed with the Replace operation described before.

Thanks Suzanne. The box for hyperlinks is already checked. When I
copy/paste the list of names and email addresses into Word, the
addresses do not show up in green, they look just like the rest of the
text.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Don" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I have a list of names and email addresses, for example:
Bill Smith
I want to delete the email addresses, leaving just the list of
names. Tried using * in Find (leaving Replace blank), but that
deletes everything. Must be missing something?

1. Press Alt+F9 to reveal field codes. Each email address will
look like this: { HYPERLINK " }.

Thanks Suzanne, but nothing happens when I press ALT-F9. ?

--

Advertising is the science of arresting the human intelligence long
enough to get money from it.

...Stephen Leacock

Find and Replace problems Jammer Microsoft Word Help 3 September 20th 06 02:57 PM
Problem with find and replace of paragragh marks kdzugan Microsoft Word Help 1 January 1st 06 09:26 PM
Find and Replace GREEK symbols in XP, 2K & 97 Jazz Microsoft Word Help 3 April 8th 05 08:13 PM
Find and Replace Michael R New Users 11 January 22nd 05 05:31 PM
Find and Replace anomaly BruceM Microsoft Word Help 7 January 18th 05 05:47 PM