Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rob Rob is offline

Default Using Find replace to reverse words: Cottage Mimosa Mimosa Cottage,etc

I have a text with names of cottages in French word order: Cottage
Mimosa, Cottage Alohi, etc.

How can I use Find/Replace to change them all to Mimosa Cottage, Alohi
Cottage, etc.?

TIA

Robin
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The following seems to work:

1. Choose Edit | Replace.

2. Click the More button, if necessary.

3. Check the "Use wildcards" option.

4. "Find what": (*)( )(*)

5. "Replace with": \3\2\1

6. Click Replace All.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rob" wrote in message
I have a text with names of cottages in French word order: Cottage
Mimosa, Cottage Alohi, etc.

How can I use Find/Replace to change them all to Mimosa Cottage,

Alohi
Cottage, etc.?

TIA

Robin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that if your document contains more than a list of names, it
isn't a good idea to use the suggested search. :-(

Hopefully, someone can come up with a better idea.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rob" wrote in message
I have a text with names of cottages in French word order: Cottage
Mimosa, Cottage Alohi, etc.

How can I use Find/Replace to change them all to Mimosa Cottage,

Alohi
Cottage, etc.?

TIA

Robin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ChrisM ChrisM is offline

Improving slightly on Stefan's solution, this seems to work if the cottage
names are inside a paragraph of normal text:

Find What: (Cottage)( )(*)
Replace With: \3\2\1

Cheers,

Chris.

"Rob" wrote in message
I have a text with names of cottages in French word order: Cottage
Mimosa, Cottage Alohi, etc.

How can I use Find/Replace to change them all to Mimosa Cottage,

Alohi
Cottage, etc.?

TIA

Robin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Replace (wildcards)
(Cottage) ([a-zA-Z]{2,})
with
\2 \1

"Rob" wrote in message
I have a text with names of cottages in French word order: Cottage
Mimosa, Cottage Alohi, etc.

How can I use Find/Replace to change them all to Mimosa Cottage,
Alohi Cottage, etc.?

TIA

Robin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rob Rob is offline

Now I'm going to make it harder

Some of the cottages have names like

Cottage Espace 4
Cottage Laurier Rose

But they are on separate lines. No other text on the line

Robin

"Rob" wrote in message
I have a text with names of cottages in French word order: Cottage
Mimosa, Cottage Alohi, etc.

How can I use Find/Replace to change them all to Mimosa Cottage,
Alohi
Cottage, etc.?

TIA

Robin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rob Rob is offline

It's OK. I did the more complicated ones manually. But thanks. This
saved me about 60 simple instances.

"Rob" wrote in message
I have a text with names of cottages in French word order: Cottage
Mimosa, Cottage Alohi, etc.

How can I use Find/Replace to change them all to Mimosa Cottage,
Alohi
Cottage, etc.?

TIA

Robin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Thank you! :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rob" wrote in message
I have a text with names of cottages in French word order:

Cottage
Mimosa, Cottage Alohi, etc.

How can I use Find/Replace to change them all to Mimosa

Cottage,
Alohi
Cottage, etc.?

TIA

Robin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Assuming that I understood it correctly, this search finds A (the word
"Cottage"), a space, and B (a word with at least two characters, which
can be uppercase or lowercase letters) and replaces it with B, a
space, and A.

I'm not sure what the restriction on B is for?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Replace (wildcards)
(Cottage) ([a-zA-Z]{2,})
with
\2 \1

"Rob" wrote in message
I have a text with names of cottages in French word order:

Cottage
Mimosa, Cottage Alohi, etc.

How can I use Find/Replace to change them all to Mimosa Cottage,
Alohi Cottage, etc.?

TIA

Robin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It's just a way of ensuring you get the next word. The number is not
especially important as long as it is less than the likely number of
characters in 'B'
ChrisM's suggestion of (Cottage) (*) should work equally well, though
personally I don't much care for the * wildcard if it can be avoided.