Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
USING WORD, NEED ASSISTANCE,PLEASE...... USING WORD, NEED ASSISTANCE,PLEASE...... is offline

Default can you format a document after you have already typed it????

I TYPED UP DOCUMENTS FOR WORK USING WORD, WHEN I FINISHED I SAVED THEM TO MY
FLOPPY, THEN TRIED TO PRINT THEM OUT, SOMETHING POPPED UP ON THE SCREEN
TELLING ME MY DOCUMENT WERE NTO FORMATTED, DID I WANT TO FORMAT?? WHAT I
WANT TO KNOW IS IF I FORMAT, WILL I LOSE MY DOCUMENTS AND HAVE TO START
OVER??APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON THIS...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

wrote in message
I TYPED UP DOCUMENTS FOR WORK USING WORD, WHEN I FINISHED I SAVED THEM TO
MY
FLOPPY, THEN TRIED TO PRINT THEM OUT, SOMETHING POPPED UP ON THE SCREEN
TELLING ME MY DOCUMENT WERE NTO FORMATTED, DID I WANT TO FORMAT?? WHAT I
WANT TO KNOW IS IF I FORMAT, WILL I LOSE MY DOCUMENTS AND HAVE TO START
OVER??APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON THIS...

Well I certainly hope that all the documents you type for work are NOT all
in caps. Please turn off your caps lock when posting here.
if I interpret your post correctly, do NOT work from documents on a floppy
disk, you WILL lose them. Copy them back to the HDD first, before opening
them.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

It is highly likely that you have corrupted your document. Saving or editing
a Word document on a floppy drive is hazardous. You need to save to the
local hard disk and COPY the file to and from the floppy. Never open, save,
edit or print using a floppy or most forms of Removable media.

Also, please use your shift key as ALL CAPS is very difficult to read. Most
people stop writing in BIG LETTERS around 5 years old.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

wrote in message
I TYPED UP DOCUMENTS FOR WORK USING WORD, WHEN I FINISHED I SAVED THEM TO
MY
FLOPPY, THEN TRIED TO PRINT THEM OUT, SOMETHING POPPED UP ON THE SCREEN
TELLING ME MY DOCUMENT WERE NTO FORMATTED, DID I WANT TO FORMAT?? WHAT I
WANT TO KNOW IS IF I FORMAT, WILL I LOSE MY DOCUMENTS AND HAVE TO START
OVER??APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON THIS...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The error message was not telling you the document was not formatted. It was
telling you the disk was not formatted. This is a generic (and in this case
bogus) error message but a strong suggestion that the file you were trying
to open has become corrupted (if you did format the disk, you would
certainly lose your data, but it is probably lost already). Saving a Word
document directly to a floppy or other removable drive or opening one
directly from such is one of the surest ways to corrupt the file. Always
save your documents to the hard drive, then copy to the floppy; to open,
copy from the floppy back to the HD and open from there.

For now, copy the document to the HD (if you can), then try to open it. If
you can't, and have Word 2003, use the Open and Repair option (click the
arrow beside Open in the File Open dialog). If that doesn't help, or if that
option is not available, select "Recover Text from Any File" as the file
type in the Open dialog.

wrote in message
I TYPED UP DOCUMENTS FOR WORK USING WORD, WHEN I FINISHED I SAVED THEM TO

MY
FLOPPY, THEN TRIED TO PRINT THEM OUT, SOMETHING POPPED UP ON THE SCREEN
TELLING ME MY DOCUMENT WERE NTO FORMATTED, DID I WANT TO FORMAT?? WHAT I
WANT TO KNOW IS IF I FORMAT, WILL I LOSE MY DOCUMENTS AND HAVE TO START
OVER??APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON THIS...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

And to chuck in my two pennorth. One exclamation mark is all you need on
each occasion.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
I TYPED UP DOCUMENTS FOR WORK USING WORD, WHEN I FINISHED I SAVED THEM TO

MY
FLOPPY, THEN TRIED TO PRINT THEM OUT, SOMETHING POPPED UP ON THE SCREEN
TELLING ME MY DOCUMENT WERE NTO FORMATTED, DID I WANT TO FORMAT?? WHAT I
WANT TO KNOW IS IF I FORMAT, WILL I LOSE MY DOCUMENTS AND HAVE TO START
OVER??APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON THIS...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

Well the clue is '...many years ago'. Many years ago I was working with
Electric Pencil (who remembers that?) in 4K of memory and DOS. And before
that I was working as an accountant with no *calculator* even. Computers
were a rarity that only Defence and Lyons had room and money for. But we
move on...

"oe" wrote in message
When I went to college to learn word processing many years ago, we were
TAUGHT to save to floppy. When I took another course a couple of years
ago, they were still teaching it - no wonder people go wrong!

"aalaan" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
I TYPED UP DOCUMENTS FOR WORK USING WORD, WHEN I FINISHED I SAVED THEM
MY
FLOPPY, THEN TRIED TO PRINT THEM OUT, SOMETHING POPPED UP ON THE SCREEN
TELLING ME MY DOCUMENT WERE NTO FORMATTED, DID I WANT TO FORMAT?? WHAT
WANT TO KNOW IS IF I FORMAT, WILL I LOSE MY DOCUMENTS AND HAVE TO START
OVER??APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON THIS...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Those that can, do; those that can't, teach.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
I TYPED UP DOCUMENTS FOR WORK USING WORD, WHEN I FINISHED I SAVED THEM
MY
FLOPPY, THEN TRIED TO PRINT THEM OUT, SOMETHING POPPED UP ON THE SCREEN
TELLING ME MY DOCUMENT WERE NTO FORMATTED, DID I WANT TO FORMAT?? WHAT
WANT TO KNOW IS IF I FORMAT, WILL I LOSE MY DOCUMENTS AND HAVE TO START
OVER??APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON THIS...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

Yes, well I did that too... Must have done something right. One of my pupils
is now a headmaster...

wrote in message
I TYPED UP DOCUMENTS FOR WORK USING WORD, WHEN I FINISHED I SAVED THEM
MY
FLOPPY, THEN TRIED TO PRINT THEM OUT, SOMETHING POPPED UP ON THE
SCREEN
TELLING ME MY DOCUMENT WERE NTO FORMATTED, DID I WANT TO FORMAT??
WHAT I
WANT TO KNOW IS IF I FORMAT, WILL I LOSE MY DOCUMENTS AND HAVE TO
START
OVER??APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON THIS...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
OE OE is offline

Sorry - it wasn't that many years ago; in fact, the last time I saw it
taught this way was about 4 years ago when I was taking City & Guild exams!
I did explain to the lecturer why it's not a good idea - to no avail!

"Gordon" wrote in message
"oe" wrote in message
When I went to college to learn word processing many years ago, we were
TAUGHT to save to floppy.

that's because there were no hard disk drives!

When I took another course a couple of years ago, they were still
teaching it - no wonder people go wrong!

Was that with Word? Other WP applications such as WordPerfect and
OpenOffice Write are quite capable of saving and working directly to and
from floppies - for some unknown unintelligible reason, Word makes a
temporary copy of the document being worked on in the same place as the
original! Way to go, MS!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

A lecturer who cannot himself learn from experiences is a liability
Word is not designed to be used with floppy discs and such attempted use if
the major source of document corruption. This was equally true four years
ago.