Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stacie999 Stacie999 is offline

Default Word Freezes when entering TOC

I've searched the threads and can't seem to find this particular
problem....

I have a VERY long document - 578 pages so far. I've formatted and
added styles and levels to all that I want in the table of contents. I
tell it to create the TOC using 3 levels and it does it, but when I
click on anything after Word freezes and does not respond.

Think my document is too big? It's 93mb so far and I have lots more to
add to it. I've done a disk clean, defrag but it still hangs up and
it's only this document. I'm using Word 2003....

Any help would be appreciated!

Stacie

--
Stacie999
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Well, 578 pages is not so long (Word has been known to handle up to 10,000
pages), but 93 MB is huge. Given that the limit for text in a Word doc is 32
MB, I would guess that you have a lot of graphics. You can optimize
performance (whenever possible) by working with the document in Normal view
with repagination disabled and picture placeholders enabled.

"Stacie999" wrote in message

I've searched the threads and can't seem to find this particular
problem....

I have a VERY long document - 578 pages so far. I've formatted and
added styles and levels to all that I want in the table of contents. I
tell it to create the TOC using 3 levels and it does it, but when I
click on anything after Word freezes and does not respond.

Think my document is too big? It's 93mb so far and I have lots more to
add to it. I've done a disk clean, defrag but it still hangs up and
it's only this document. I'm using Word 2003....

Any help would be appreciated!

Stacie

--
Stacie999

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

.... What Suzanne wrote, plus anything else you can think of that might be
contributing to such an enormous file size; Are you using Track Changes?,
the Versions feature?, Master/Sub-Documents? Also, what are the system specs
(processor, RAM)?

My gut feeling is that you're dealing with a document that has begun to
suffer [at least] low-level corruption. Perhaps a 'Maggie' is in order but
I'd wait for more input from Suzanne. In the meantime I'd strongly recommend
making a back-up copy if you haven't already!
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Stacie999" wrote in message

I've searched the threads and can't seem to find this particular
problem....

I have a VERY long document - 578 pages so far. I've formatted and
added styles and levels to all that I want in the table of contents. I
tell it to create the TOC using 3 levels and it does it, but when I
click on anything after Word freezes and does not respond.

Think my document is too big? It's 93mb so far and I have lots more to
add to it. I've done a disk clean, defrag but it still hangs up and
it's only this document. I'm using Word 2003....

Any help would be appreciated!

Stacie

--
Stacie999

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stacie999 Stacie999 is offline

Oh - this would be the thread you were talking about I assumed that
this site was different than the microsoft forum.....

Anyway - not a lot of graphics, but I do have some pages that were
scanned in and placed as pictures. Yeah, the huge part was on the 93MB.
I was pretty sure that Word could handle more pages than what I've got
so far......

The things in my document are a lot of tables. There's only a few flow
charts and about 10 scanned pages that were actually placed in there as
a picture. Do you think that is making the document so big? Should I
re-scan these documents (don't have them electronically) and try
again?

Suzanne S. Barnhill Wrote:
Well, 578 pages is not so long (Word has been known to handle up to
10,000
pages), but 93 MB is huge. Given that the limit for text in a Word doc
is 32
MB, I would guess that you have a lot of graphics. You can optimize
performance (whenever possible) by working with the document in Normal
view
with repagination disabled and picture placeholders enabled.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Stacie999" wrote in message
...-

I've searched the threads and can't seem to find this particular
problem....

I have a VERY long document - 578 pages so far. I've formatted and
added styles and levels to all that I want in the table of contents.
tell it to create the TOC using 3 levels and it does it, but when I
click on anything after Word freezes and does not respond.

Think my document is too big? It's 93mb so far and I have lots more
add to it. I've done a disk clean, defrag but it still hangs up and
it's only this document. I'm using Word 2003....

Any help would be appreciated!

Stacie

--
Stacie999-

--
Stacie999
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Well, here's the standard boilerplate on "file bloat":

There are a number of reasons for excessive file size, including:

1. Fast Saves: Disable this at on the Save tab of Tools | Options.

2. Preview Pictu Clear the check box on the Summary tab of File |
Properties.

3. Versions (File | Versions): Make sure "Automatically save version on
close" is not turned on.

4. Revisions (Tools | Track Changes):
Highlight Changes: Make sure "Highlight changes on screen" is turned on
(or that "Final Showing Markup" is displayed).
Accept/Reject Changes: If "Accept All" or "Reject All" is available then
revisions are present; accept or reject all changes, then turn Track Changes
off.

5. Embedded True Type fonts (Tools | Options | Save); embedding fonts should
be avoided wherever possible.

6. Embedded graphics: When feasible, it is preferable to link the graphics.
That is, when you insert the graphic, click the arrow beside Insert in the
Picture dialog and choose Link to File rather than Insert or Insert and
Link.

7. Embedded objects: These are even worse than ordinary graphics saved with
the document. If you see an { EMBED } code, the graphic is an OLE object.
Unless you need to be able to edit the object in place, unlink it using
Ctrl+Shift+F9.

8. File format: Make sure you are saving as a Word document; in some cases
..rtf (Rich Text Format) files are significantly larger than .doc files.

9. Document corruption: See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

"Stacie999" wrote in message

I've searched the threads and can't seem to find this particular
problem....

I have a VERY long document - 578 pages so far. I've formatted and
added styles and levels to all that I want in the table of contents. I
tell it to create the TOC using 3 levels and it does it, but when I
click on anything after Word freezes and does not respond.

Think my document is too big? It's 93mb so far and I have lots more to
add to it. I've done a disk clean, defrag but it still hangs up and
it's only this document. I'm using Word 2003....

Any help would be appreciated!

Stacie

--
Stacie999

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stacie999 Stacie999 is offline

OK - Went through the checklist:

Fast saves was disabled.
Preview pics was clear.
Versions was not turned on (never even knew that existed!)
Track changes was turned off
Embed True Type fonts is not checked BUT "embed linguistic data" and
"embed smart tags" is checked. I'm pretty sure I need the smart tags
for PDF but I don't know what the linguistic thing is.
It is being saved as a .doc

Man. I've been working on this for days. What I've done is taken
several documents and merged them together (actually cut and paste into
a new document), cleared all formatting and re-done.

Any other ideas? This is frustrating as heck that's for sure...

Stacie

Suzanne S. Barnhill Wrote:
[...]

...-

-

--
Stacie999
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

You might see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/FastTables.htm to see if
that helps. In particular, be wary of table rows extending across more than
one page; Word doesn't like very long tables generally and especially has a
problem with long single-row tables; whenever it's possible to break a
table, it will help. I created a document (in Word 97 on a very slow
machine) that had hundreds of small tables and at least a hundred
photographs, and it was not unmanageable.

Suzanne S. Barnhill Wrote:
Well, 578 pages is not so long (Word has been known to handle up to
10,000
pages), but 93 MB is huge. Given that the limit for text in a Word doc
is 32
MB, I would guess that you have a lot of graphics. You can optimize
performance (whenever possible) by working with the document in Normal
view
with repagination disabled and picture placeholders enabled.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Stacie999" wrote in message
...-

I've searched the threads and can't seem to find this particular
problem....

I have a VERY long document - 578 pages so far. I've formatted and
added styles and levels to all that I want in the table of contents.
tell it to create the TOC using 3 levels and it does it, but when I
click on anything after Word freezes and does not respond.

Think my document is too big? It's 93mb so far and I have lots more
add to it. I've done a disk clean, defrag but it still hangs up and
it's only this document. I'm using Word 2003....

Any help would be appreciated!

Stacie

--
Stacie999-

--
Stacie999

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

You didn't mention checking for corruption (#9). If your doc is excessively
large *and* it is causing Word to crash, corruption is very likely. Run the
standard fixes that Suzanne linked to. You can do it ON A COPY, just in
case something happens.

Suzanne S. Barnhill Wrote:
[...]

"Stacie999" wrote in message
...-

I've searched the threads and can't seem to find this particular
problem....

I have a VERY long document - 578 pages so far. I've formatted and
added styles and levels to all that I want in the table of contents.
tell it to create the TOC using 3 levels and it does it, but when I
click on anything after Word freezes and does not respond.

Think my document is too big? It's 93mb so far and I have lots more
add to it. I've done a disk clean, defrag but it still hangs up and
it's only this document. I'm using Word 2003....

Any help would be appreciated!

Stacie

--
Stacie999-

-

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Hi Stacie -

You couldn't be in better hands than those of Suzanne & Daiya so I don't
mean to meddle, but I did want to interject about the *scanned graphics*
mentioned in your second post here.

What format were they scanned in? If the scanner settings weren't properly
set they may be something like 24 bit Color TIFFs and 10 of them would
account for most of the outrageous file size - each one could be 3 megs or
more.

You didn't mention what the content of those scanned pages happens to be,
but if if that is the problem rescanning at more efficient settings or
saving the scanned files in something less cumbersome may help.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Suzanne S. Barnhill Wrote:
[...]

"Stacie999" wrote in message
...-

I've searched the threads and can't seem to find this particular
problem....

I have a VERY long document - 578 pages so far. I've formatted and
added styles and levels to all that I want in the table of contents.
tell it to create the TOC using 3 levels and it does it, but when I
click on anything after Word freezes and does not respond.

Think my document is too big? It's 93mb so far and I have lots more
add to it. I've done a disk clean, defrag but it still hangs up and
it's only this document. I'm using Word 2003....

Any help would be appreciated!

Stacie

--
Stacie999-

-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stacie999 Stacie999 is offline

Yeah - Yes Daiya, you are correct. I overlooked the website that Suzanne
put in there. And what do you know? It worked! My file is now down to
6MB instead of 91MB..... Great! I still have to put the "scanned" pages
back in but I will first re-scan them in a low-res format and try.

Thank you EVERBODY! I couldn't have gotten through this without all
your help and I am so grateful that I don't have to start this document
all over from scratch again!!!