Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Francis Hookham Francis Hookham is offline

Default Changing a style

Using Word 2000 and 2002 I can name a new style by typing the new style's
name in the style box and pressing Return. (2002 unnecessarily suggests a
name)

Subsequently the easiest way to make a change to an existing style in 2000
is to make the change in a paragraph and then click in the style box and
press Return which brings up a dialog box asking to confirmation of the
change (the default) or reverting back. Since I normally want the change, a
second Return confirms the change throughout the document. (Normal seems to
be the one style where this method does not work.

Annoyingly 2002 does not seem to have this simple quick way of facilitating
changes to styles.

..or have I missed a default setting?

(Maybe I shall have to write a macro to do the trick.)

Francis Hookham

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

On the Edit tab of Tools | Options, check the box for "Prompt to update
style." But note that if you use the Styles and Formatting task pane, it's
even easier to click "Update to Match Selection" for the style. You can even
change the formatting of another style to the formatting of the current
selection this way, something that could not be done in previous versions.

"Francis Hookham" wrote in message
Using Word 2000 and 2002 I can name a new style by typing the new style's
name in the style box and pressing Return. (2002 unnecessarily suggests a
name)

Subsequently the easiest way to make a change to an existing style in 2000
is to make the change in a paragraph and then click in the style box and
press Return which brings up a dialog box asking to confirmation of the
change (the default) or reverting back. Since I normally want the change,

second Return confirms the change throughout the document. (Normal seems

be the one style where this method does not work.

Annoyingly 2002 does not seem to have this simple quick way of

facilitating
changes to styles.

.or have I missed a default setting?

(Maybe I shall have to write a macro to do the trick.)

Francis Hookham

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Francis Hookham Francis Hookham is offline

Thanks but it is strange that
On the Edit tab of Tools | Options, check the box for "Prompt to update
style."
does not work for me.

The alternative
But note that if you use the Styles and Formatting task pane, it's
even easier to click "Update to Match Selection" for the style.
is fine if you want to have the Styles and Formatting task pane taking up so
much space!

Is there VBA for "Update to Match Selection"? I should prefer to use a
macro.

Thanks

Francis Hookham

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
On the Edit tab of Tools | Options, check the box for "Prompt to update
style." But note that if you use the Styles and Formatting task pane, it's
even easier to click "Update to Match Selection" for the style. You can
even
change the formatting of another style to the formatting of the current
selection this way, something that could not be done in previous versions.

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

You can add a Redefine Style button to a toolbar (it works pretty much the
same as the other options except for slightly different Undo ramifications).

But "Prompt to update style" should work for you (that is, it gives you the
dialog asking what you want to do). It's possible it doesn't work unless you
also clear the box for "Keep track of formatting." Also, note that you
cannot update Normal style this way; that can be done only be opening the
actual Modify Style dialog.

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.