Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Sue Godwin Sue Godwin is offline

Default Letters on a run

I have recently set up a new template at work and recorded a macro so that
individual users have a document which is tailored to their specific needs.

Most users produce single documents, but a few produce documents on a run,
so that one letter follows another and they are saved as a block item.

The template macro is fine, and we coped with the insertion of consecutive
letters by way of autotext.

Unfortunately, even though the normal template is set to paragraph format
0pt before and after, the autotext insertion, (which was produced from the
original template) comes in at paragraph 6pt before and after, as does all
other autotext entries.

Re-entering the autotext entry does not work, since once you shut down, at
the next start-up, the formatting reverts to the 6pt before and after.

One user is Windows XP, the other Windows 2000.

I recorded a macro today, so that a next page would be inserted with full
template, and this appeared to work when blank, but I found that once I had
written a letter, the next page through the macro simply repeated the
previous letter word for word.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

SLG

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Sue

An AutoText saves only the text (no formatting) if, when you create it, you
just select the text, and not the paragraph mark at the end of the
paragraph. If you select the paragraph mark, then the AutoText will include
its formatting. By "formatting" I mean both the style and any direct
formatting applied to the text.

If that isn't enough to help solve your problem, then I think we need some
more information. For example:

I have recently set up a new template at work

In Word, a template is a .dot file, normally saved in the user's User
Templates or Workgroup Templates folder. Is that what you've done?

and recorded a macro

Is the macro in the .dot template file?

even though the normal template is set to paragraph format
0pt before and after

Here's where I get confused. If you've created a new template, then the
styles in normal.dot don't affect either your new template or documents
created from it. So I'm not sure how normal.dot comes into play here.

I recorded a macro today, so that a next page would be inserted

If you're creating several letters (ie pieces of correspondnece) in one
document (ie in one file), then you might be better with a section break.
This will allow you to start the page numbering again at 1 for the second
and subsequent letter, and allow any headers or footers designed for the
first page of the letter to function properly.

with full template

A template is a .dot file. So I'm not sure what this means.

and this appeared to work when blank, but I found that once I had
written a letter, the next page through the macro simply repeated the
previous letter word for word.

Then post us the code you're using. And, tell us what about the general
purpose of your template and macros.

The following might also help:

What is the relationship between a Word document and its template?
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.

"Sue Godwin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Sue Godwin Sue Godwin is offline

Thanks for that. I think I've resolved the problem by setting new styles
for each part of the document. It now merely remains for me to reset the
various autotext entries to match the styles created.