Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Mike Starr Mike Starr is offline

Default Attached template doesn't stick

I'm working on a user manual. I created Manual.doc based on Template1
(FileNewTemplate1.dot). Then I decided that I'd like to have an
alternate format so I opened Template1.dot, made some changes (mostly just a
different color for heading and emphasis text) and saved it as
Template2.dot. So then I opened Manual.doc and changed the template
(ToolsTemplates and AddinsTemplate2.dotAttach... Automatically update
document styles=checked). Saved a new version of the document (Manual2.doc).
Open Manual2.doc and it's back to being attached to Template1.dot instead of
Template2.dot. Nothing I do seems to be able to get my choice of templates
to stick. Now it's not a major problem... I can change it manually in a few
seconds or even write an AutoOpen macro to handle it but I can't for the
life of me figure out why on earth the template selection doesn't stick. Any
thoughts??

Thanks

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Website developer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Mike

There are probably two issues here.

1. When you open a document and attach a new template, Word does not think
the file is 'dirty', so when you do File Save it does not actually save.
So, open the document, attach the template, press spacebar and backspace to
'dirty' it, and save again. Solved?

2. If that doesn't solve all the issues, then maybe this can help
What happens when I attach a new template to my document? or How do I copy
content and settings from a template to a document?"
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.

"Mike Starr" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Mike Starr Mike Starr is offline

Hi Shauna

1. Actually, I'd already tried that before I even wrote my query here. Tried
it again, just to make sure, but to no avail.

2. Read your article and nothing there to help.

When I attach the new template, the heading 1 through heading 5 font colors
change just as I want them to... that's why I created another template so I
could experiment with a different look for my document. I'm working on
documentation for a software package that has five modules and was
considering making each module distinct by the font color I use for heading
styles, emphasis style and hyperlink styles. That way the documents will
have a family appearance but each will be readily identifiable at a glance.
So the new template works as designed, it just won't stay attached grrr.

Best regards,

Mike

"Mike Starr" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Mike

This is, of course, not the usual behaviour.

Can you get it to work with a clean document and/or a clean template? If so,
then that would be some evidence that your document and/or template has
problems. Maybe try the usual methods for cleaning up as described at

How can I recover a corrupt document or template - and why did it become
corrupt?
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.

"Mike Starr" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Mike Starr Mike Starr is offline

Hi Shauna

I'll give that experiment a try when time permits. Like I said, it's not a
major problem as I can change it as necessary but it is annoying and
curious. I'll come back and report when I've had a chance to experiment a
bit. Thanks much for your help.