Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Nick H. Nick H. is offline

Default Master Sub Documents (Thesis writing with Word)

Hello,

I am planning to write my thesis using Word 2003 and I read about the
possibility to use the "Master-Sub Document" functionality (hope this is
the write English term, in German this function is called
"Zentral-Filial-Dokument").

My first question is whether anyone has a good pointer to a little tutorial
for that. Next, is this function prone to produce corrupt files?

I was thinking of organizing my document in several files (one for each
chapter) which are in stored separate folders (one for each chapter). Also,
I won't import files into my master document, but I will create the sub
documents out of the master document.

1) How can I set a common formatting layout for the "slave" documents
because in the process of working with them, I will need a little bit of
formatting?

2) I might make changes in the "slave" documents and might rename them,
e.g., chapter1-v1.doc, chapter1-v2.doc, etc. How does this affect the
master document?

3) I will send out the various chapters (i.e., slave files) to a reviewer
who will make corrections in Word right away. Any thoughts on that and how
it will affect the Master document structure?

4) When everything is finished, I will need to include a title page, a TOC,
and a few other introductory pages. Is this something I need to foresee
already now?

If you have any suggestions for me, I'd be grateful. Thanks in advance.

--
Nick H.
niko25at "at" yahoo "dot" de

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

See also:
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

Which is a compilation of useful links for long documents, especially
theses. The Overview discusses the important concepts you should be
aware of.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Before you get any farther down this road, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Nick H. Nick H. is offline

Thank you, both of you. If I understand everything correctly, the key to a
corrupt free Word document is to have a proper concept and use the Master
Document function as the very last step.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Before you get any farther down this road, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm

--
Nick H.
niko25at "at" yahoo "dot" de

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Nick H. wrote:
Thank you, both of you. If I understand everything correctly, the key to a
corrupt free Word document is to have a proper concept and use the Master
Document function as the very last step.

.... or not at all. I don't see any reason to use it in your boots.

0.2¢
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Nick H. Nick H. is offline

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:09:41 -0600, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Actually, you should not need to use a Master Doc at all. Word can handle
extremely large documents in a single file.

I understand. I simply wanted to use the Master Doc to make the merging of
the various chapter files easier.

Do you suggest I make a template for my various chapter files to start with
a formatted document each time I start a new chapter, or should I deal with
the formatting as the very last step.

What I always do when I insert a new chapter in the final document is to
use "Section Break Next Page." I am not sure what the difference between
"Section Break Next Page" and "Section Break Continuous is".

--
Nick H.
niko25at "at" yahoo "dot" de
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Nick

Do you suggest I make a template for my various chapter files

Using a template that contains the styles you intend to use in your
document(s) is generally a good thing. You can also store customizations to
your toolbar in the template, and they will only be available when you work
on documents created from that template.

a formatted document each time I start a new chapter, or should I deal
with
the formatting as the very last step.

I think this is a question about cognitive style, not about wordprocessing.
Some people (probably bottom-up thinkers) tend to write all the text and
then go back and format it. Other people (probably top-down thinkers) tend
to create the outline and the structure (and therefore the formatting) and
then fill in the gaps. I think they're just two ways of achieving the same
aim.

What I always do when I insert a new chapter in the final document is to
use "Section Break Next Page." I am not sure what the difference between
"Section Break Next Page" and "Section Break Continuous is

A continuous section break starts on the same page. The most common use is
to identify a section in the middle where the number of columns changes.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Nick H." niko25at@NOSPAM (at) yahoo.de wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:09:41 -0600, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Actually, you should not need to use a Master Doc at all. Word can handle
extremely large documents in a single file.

I understand. I simply wanted to use the Master Doc to make the merging of
the various chapter files easier.

Do you suggest I make a template for my various chapter files to start
with
a formatted document each time I start a new chapter, or should I deal
with
the formatting as the very last step.

What I always do when I insert a new chapter in the final document is to
use "Section Break Next Page." I am not sure what the difference between
"Section Break Next Page" and "Section Break Continuous is".

--
Nick H.
niko25at "at" yahoo "dot" de

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Nick H. Nick H. is offline

Hi Shauna,

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 01:07:27 +1100, Shauna Kelly wrote:

Using a template that contains the styles you intend to use in your
document(s) is generally a good thing. You can also store customizations to
your toolbar in the template, and they will only be available when you work
on documents created from that template.

A template that is a regular .doc-file which has some formatting to it, or
a .dot-file.

If I do a .dot-file, I would use that initially and save the worked-on file
separately.

Also, I think it would be better to leave the numbering of the headlines
for the end.

--
Nick H.
niko25at "at" yahoo "dot" de
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Nick

A regular .doc file isn't a template. Only a .dot file is a template. Well,
actually Word is smarter than that. It recognizes the file structure, not
the extension. If you take a document and re-name it as a .dot, it's still a
document. You can create a new, clean template at File New and choose to
create a template. Or save an existing document as a template.

Also, I think it would be better to leave the numbering of the headlines
for the end.

That's OK. But I would recommend that you plan early for everything related
to headings (not "headlines", by the way), and that includes: page
numbering, caption numbering for tables and figures, cross-references to
tables and figures, the table of contents, table of figures, appendix
numbering, and numbering pages figures tables etc within appendixes etc.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Nick H. Nick H. is offline

Hi Shauna,

All right, here is the what the thesis should be composed of:

- title page (1)

- signature page (2)
- abstract (2)
- table of contents (2)
- list of figures/tables (2)

- body of thesis (3)
- references/bibliography (3)

(1) ... special layout, to be numbered with i (not appearing)
(2) ... to be numbered continuously with ii... (appearing), similar layout,
special case TOC, List of Figured
(3) ... to be numbered continuously with 1 ..., same layout (special case:
references)

I think that I will make a template only for (3). But the "body" will
actually be composed of several chapters (= several files), and I plan to
put them together at the final stage, incl. references.

Would you suggest I write all these things in separate files and put them
together at the very end in one large file or in a Master Document?

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 22:43:23 +1100, Shauna Kelly wrote:

A regular .doc file isn't a template. Only a .dot file is a template. Well,
actually Word is smarter than that. It recognizes the file structure, not
the extension. If you take a document and re-name it as a .dot, it's still a
document. You can create a new, clean template at File New and choose to
create a template. Or save an existing document as a template.

I know that. If I create a proper template with the method described by
you, how do I base my new document on that template? Whenever I start Word,
all my documents are based on the Normal.dot file.

Since I want to write up the body of the thesis in different files, should
I include page numbering in the template? Will that create a problem when I
merge the chapter-files in one large "body" file?

Also, I think it would be better to leave the numbering of the headlines
for the end.

That's OK. But I would recommend that you plan early for everything related
to headings (not "headlines", by the way), and that includes: page
numbering, caption numbering for tables and figures, cross-references to
tables and figures, the table of contents, table of figures, appendix
numbering, and numbering pages figures tables etc within appendixes etc.

I just created a template (.dot-file) and realized that I would like to
change something. Can I open the .dot-file, make changes, and save it?

A final question: Where can I define a special format for footnotes and
captions?

BTW, I just made a test.
Document 1 based on template
Document 2 based on template

New document based on template into which I copied Doc 1 & Doc 2 (chapter
headlines are already formatted with numbering) and add a header with page
numbers. Worked like a charm. Yippie!!

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

Good website. Lots of useful information. *thumbs-up*

--
Nick H.
niko25at "at" yahoo "dot" de
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
jay m jay m is offline

On Feb 8, 11:09 am, "Nick H." niko25at@NOSPAM (at) yahoo.de wrote:

I just created a template (.dot-file) and realized that I would like to
change something. Can I open the .dot-file, make changes, and save it?

well, one brute-force method is to double-click on the .dot file...

For each of the files, make sure that your own template is attached to
the file as the Document Template,
not as a "global template /add-in.

Use each style consistently in each of your documents.
Save changes in styles back to template.

(plus all the info in those other links)
cheers
Jay