Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Suppress paragraph "spacing before" at top of page

Is there a way to suppress paragraph "spacing before" when a paragraph
starts at the top of a new page or column? I'm using Word 2003.
Previous discussions about this say that Word does it automatically,
but that's not happening in my documents (previous discussions were
using previous versions of Word. Has something changed?).

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
John McGhie John McGhie is offline

Hi Kevin:

No, nothing has changed: Word does do it automatically, but the design of
the feature is very buggy. There's a complex set of rules to determine
whether Word suppresses space at the top of the page or not. That's the
bug. What "should" happen is that it works every time. What "does" happen
is that Word works through a decision tree to decide whether it's going to
do what it should.

Very simplistically, the rule is "If WORD threw the paragraph to the next
page, Word will suppress space above. If YOU threw the paragraph, Word will
print the space."

So: If you use a hard page break, a column break, a section break, or
anything else that you type to move the paragraph to the top of the next
page, you'll get the space.

If you use Keep Lines Together and Keep With Next in combination to persuade
Word to move the paragraph for you, it will correctly suppress the space.
You must use Keep Lines Together to prevent Word splitting a paragraph
therwise Keep With NExt cannot operate. I tend to use Keep Lines Together
on all my body text styles anyway: forcing readers to chase paragraphs from
one page to another is bad document design that belongs way in the past:
paper doesn't cost that much these days :-)

Of course, the exception is legal contracts where a single sentence may run
more than one page :-)

Word does have an option in teh Compatibility Options that allows you to
force it to sppress space above at the top of the page always. Be careful
with that one: it can result in some strange effects, and you have to set it
for each document.

One thing I do that helps is to use ONLY space below on the body text
styles. This prevents a ragged top margin because no matter ow the
paragraph gets to the top of the page, there is no space above to make it
look silly. With Headings, f course, you do need to use space above. But
generally, a Word document will require less pagination intervention if you
conevert your styles where possible to use only space below.

Hope this helps

--

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

+61 4 1209 1410,

"Kevin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a way to suppress paragraph "spacing before" when a paragraph
starts at the top of a new page or column? I'm using Word 2003.
Previous discussions about this say that Word does it automatically,
but that's not happening in my documents (previous discussions were
using previous versions of Word. Has something changed?).

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Mike Starr Mike Starr is offline

I've always found it particularly frustrating that there is no documentation
about what the distinction is between the various options...

Suppress extra line spacing at top of page
Suppress extra line spacing at top of page like Word 5.x for the Mac
Suppress extra line spacing at top of page like WordPerfect 5.x
Suppress Space Before after a hard page or column break

How the hell do I know what those mean?? And furthermore, how do I know
what's going to happen when I make multiple selections (since they're all
check boxes).

arggh

Mike
"John McGhie" wrote in message
snip
Word does have an option in teh Compatibility Options that allows you to
force it to sppress space above at the top of the page always. Be careful
with that one: it can result in some strange effects, and you have to set

it
for each document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

FWIW, there's a KB article that purports to explain the Compatibility
Options. Let me see if I can locate it...yes, here it is: "Description of
the Compatibility options that are available in the Options dialog box in
Word 2003, Word 2002, and Word 2000" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288792.

Its description of the options you mention is as follows:

Suppress extra line spacing at top of page: This option prevents Word from
adding extra line spacing at the top of a page. If the line spacing for the
line at the top of a page is set for more than single spacing, Word ignores
the extra spacing, so that the top margin does not increase.

Suppress extra line spacing at the top of page like Word 5.x for the Mac:
This option prevents Word from adding extra line spacing at the top of a
page. If the line spacing for the line at the top of a page is set for more
than single line spacing, Word ignores the extra spacing, so that the top
margin does not increase.

Suppress extra line spacing like WordPerfect 5.x: This option ensures that
the layout of a converted WordPerfect document that is formatted with
Automatic line height closely matches that of the original document.

Suppress Space Before after a hard page or column break: This option
suppresses the space in a paragraph formatted with the Space Before option
that follows a hard page break or column break.

Note that "extra line spacing" is not the same as "Space Before." "Extra
line spacing" would be (as stated) anything other than Single: Double, 1.5
lines, Triple, At least, Exactly, or Multiple. Some of these spacing
settings result in space above text lines, some below, some split (see the
Compatibility Option "Don't center 'exact line height' lines"), which is why
it can be very tricky to mix Multiple spacing (including Double, Triple,
etc.) and "Exactly" spacing.

"Mike Starr" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Mike Starr Mike Starr is offline

Thanks for the link, Suzanne. I do find it shameful that this information
has never made it into the help file. It's been missing since Word 97
(possibly before but I wasn't skilled enough with previous versions to know
what I was missing).

Best regards

Mike
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

so
all may benefit.

"Mike Starr" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

When context-sensitive Help was removed from the app, it was a huge step
backward.

"Mike Starr" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Mike Starr" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Mike Starr Mike Starr is offline

I don't think it was ever a part of the context-sensitive help, either.

Mike

Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Website developer
Graphic Designer - Desktop Publisher - MS Office Expert
Phone: (262) 694-1028 - Tollfree: (877) 892-1028 - Fax262) 697-6334
Email: - Web: http://www.writestarr.com