Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] westfaire@gmail.com is offline

Default Older styles marked as "always hidden" in Word 2007

I have a question about how Word 2007 handles styles in documents
created in a previous version of Word (specifically, Word 2000). In
playing with the new Style Gallery, I figured out how to promote
styles to the gallery or take them off, but found that Body Text
style, which I use very frequently when setting up documents, would
not appear on the gallery, even when I set it to be.

Fumbling my way down eventually into the styles task pane (which is
mostly new to me, since it doesn't exist in Word 2000) I found a
button to "Manage styles" at the bottom of the task pane. In the
dialog box it brings up, I find that many of the built-in styles I
recognize from Word 2000 are marked as "Always hidden", except for
those that Word 2007 uses by default in its gallery. I can't find any
way to change this setting. Apparently none of these older built-in
styles (including old favorites like Body Text, all of the List/List
Bullet/etc. styles, Header and Footer styles, and so on) can be added
to the Styles gallery.

I have hundreds of documents set up using styles that have been
effectively buried, unless I can find a way to change this "always
hidden" setting. Most of the Word users at my company are not savvy
about formatting with styles; if I can get the right styles in front
of their eyes and easy to access, there's a chance I can get them to
use the right styles. As it is, these styles are only accessible in
the styles task pane via several extra clicks and some digging, which
I'm afraid is just not going to happen. Even for myself, these extra
clicks are more trouble than I want to take, when the gallery is RIGHT
THERE

Is there any way to change or subvert "always hidden" on old built-in
styles?

Thanks,
Cristina Cramer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Cristina,

In the Style Manager dialog, click the Recommend tab. Select one or
more styles and click the Show button. (You can also set a higher
priority than the default "last". That affects the position of the
style in the task pane and the Quick Style gallery.)

To make the changes affect the current template, also select the
option button at the bottom, "New documents based on this template"
(This is the equivalent of the old check box "Add to template".)

When you click OK, the selected styles should appear in the Styles
task pane. Right-click it there and choose Add to Quick Style Gallery.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On 17 Apr 2007 09:38:48 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] westfaire@gmail.com is offline

Bingo, that does the trick. Thanks very much, Jay!

Cristina Cramer

Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
[...]

Cristina Cramer- Hide quoted text -