Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
slick1 slick1 is offline

Default Home & Student opens slow.

Hi ! First time on this newsgroup.
I have just finished installing Office Home & Student 2007 and it installed
just great. But when I click on the Word icon on the Quich Launch Bar to
open Word, it takes a very, very long time for the Word screen to appear; 2
to 3 minutes sometimes. Is this normal for this suite, or is there some
other app possibly slowing things down?
Any info is greatly appreciated!
System: Acer 2450 laptop
Windows XP Home Edition - SP3
Explorer 7
--
slick1
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Is this a clean install or upgrade? Have you installed a local printer
driver and set as Windows default? Is everything up to date (OS and
drivers)?

Have you seen http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm

Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"slick1" wrote in message
Hi ! First time on this newsgroup.
I have just finished installing Office Home & Student 2007 and it
installed
just great. But when I click on the Word icon on the Quich Launch Bar to
open Word, it takes a very, very long time for the Word screen to appear;
2
to 3 minutes sometimes. Is this normal for this suite, or is there some
other app possibly slowing things down?
Any info is greatly appreciated!
System: Acer 2450 laptop
Windows XP Home Edition - SP3
Explorer 7
--
slick1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
slick1 slick1 is offline

...oop's! Forgot to install drivers and set default and to update everything!
Did all this and everything seems fine now; Word still a little slow to
open, about 50 to 60 seconds, but I can live with that. Thanks Terry!
I sure am glad all us newusers have all you great MVP's to help us out or
else we would still be pushing a pencil back in the Dark Ages!
Thank's again!
--
slick1

"slick1" wrote in message
Hi ! First time on this newsgroup.
I have just finished installing Office Home & Student 2007 and it
installed
just great. But when I click on the Word icon on the Quich Launch Bar to
open Word, it takes a very, very long time for the Word screen to appear;
2
to 3 minutes sometimes. Is this normal for this suite, or is there some
other app possibly slowing things down?
Any info is greatly appreciated!
System: Acer 2450 laptop
Windows XP Home Edition - SP3
Explorer 7
--
slick1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

That's still too slow. How quickly does it open in Safe Mode? From Start,
Run, type in

winword /a

and press enter. Does that open fast?

See the following FAQ for help diagnosing this problem.

"slick1" wrote in message
Hi ! First time on this newsgroup.
I have just finished installing Office Home & Student 2007 and it
installed
just great. But when I click on the Word icon on the Quich Launch Bar
open Word, it takes a very, very long time for the Word screen to
appear;
2
to 3 minutes sometimes. Is this normal for this suite, or is there
some
other app possibly slowing things down?
Any info is greatly appreciated!
System: Acer 2450 laptop
Windows XP Home Edition - SP3
Explorer 7
--
slick1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
slick1 slick1 is offline

Word opened in about 20 seconds in safe mode.
But then I read and went through the word mvp. org site that you,(Terry),
suggested and as soon as I checked out the templates and fixed that, Word
opens in about 2-3 seconds! F a n t a s t i c !!!
Thanks again Terry !
--
slick1