Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Henry Stock[_2_] Henry Stock[_2_] is offline

Default EndNote Formating Problems

I added a button on my tool bar for Endnotes, because I have been ading a
bunch of them to my documents.

I seem to have run into some formatting problems that I don't understand how
to fix.

1. When I insert an endnote using the button, the endnote is inserted using
the small roman numeral style, i.e. ii,iii,iv,etc.

2. There does not seem to be a method that is accessible in modifying font
styles that will allow me to change only the numbering style of the endnote
reference style.

3. I can modify the numbering style by selecting the endnote reference in
question, choosing insert, reference, footnote, selecting endnote style,
changing the numbering style in the dialog box, and applying it there.
However, each time I do that Word is now inserting along with the numbering
change a continuous section break before and after the endnote, which is
something that I absolutely do not want.

4. I cannot identify what is causing the sections breaks to be inserted. I
want the default endnote style to be Arabic numerals restarted at the
begining of each section break and I want to see that happen whether I add
the endnote from the menu or using the button on the tool bar.

You can see from paragraph 4 why the section breaks are disconcerting.

Can someone with more experience in Word point me in the right direction. I
am using Word 2003 SP3

Henry Stock,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It will help to change the default endnote numbering format in Normal.dot.
Open Normal.dot for editing (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm for tips on finding
and editing it), then use Insert | Reference | Footnote, select Endnotes,
change the number format, and click Apply to close the dialog. Now when you
use your Endnote button (in a new document) you should get the desired
format from the start.

In the current document, follow the same procedure, making sure that "Whole
document" is selected for "Apply changes to" before you click Apply.