Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
St.John St.John is offline

Default First line indents

The first line of my paragraphs are indented .8 and I have tried all that I
can know and read to change them to .5. throughout the document with no luck.
In Word 2007, how are the indents changed? Individually, or is there mass
effection?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Either can be done--piecemeal, or massively.

A lot depends on what style is in effect where you are writing.

Suppose you're using a style named Indented First Line. You can change the
first line indent for Indented First Line as follows:

Press Ctrl+Shift+S. This displays the Apply Styles dialog. If Indented First
Line is not already displayed, type Indented First Line under Style Name:

Click Modify.

Click Format - Paragraph.

In the Indents and Spacing tab, set Special: to First line; set By: to 0.5.

Click OK.

At the bottom of the Modify Style dialog, choose Only in this document OR
New documents based on this template, depending on which one you want.

Click OK.

It is NOT advisable to make this kind of change to the style named Normal.
Normal is used as a "Based on" style for numerous other styles, so if you
change Normal in this way, the 1st line indent could trickle down to
numerous other styles where you do not want a first line indent. That's why
I used "Indented First Line" as my example, since it is the sort of style
that one would want to be always indented. Although... much modern
formatting usually calls for block style with spacing between paragraphs,
rather than indenting the first line.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"St.John" wrote in message
The first line of my paragraphs are indented .8 and I have tried all that
can know and read to change them to .5. throughout the document with no
luck.
In Word 2007, how are the indents changed? Individually, or is there mass
effection?

top line of each page 'indents' even though not indicated on ruler Ruth Page Layout 2 August 29th 07 02:02 AM
Number Indents jfg Page Layout 2 April 16th 07 04:54 PM
Indents jfg Page Layout 2 March 29th 07 09:14 PM
Indents for quotes SteveH Page Layout 3 March 16th 07 12:17 PM
Uniform first line indents Purnima Microsoft Word Help 2 April 4th 06 01:53 PM