Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ray Mitchell Ray Mitchell is offline

Default Word 2007 - Insertng total page count in footer

Hello,

I just switched from Word 2003 to Word 2007 and it's almost like relearning
the user interface. Do they make these changes just so you'll think you're
getting something new for you money or do they really think it's better?
Anyway, to insert the current page number as well as the total page count in
a Word 2003 header/footer there were two separate buttons (allowing me to
produce something like Page 1 of 10). In Word 2007 all I can find is the
current page button, but no way to insert the total page count. So, although
I'm ashamed to admit it, what I've been doing is opening a document
proviously produced in Word 2003 then copying and pasting the total page
count field from it into the new Word 2007 document. Obviously that's a
kluge so I must be missing the obvious.

Finally, is there any option in Word 2007 which will change the user
interface back to the look and feel of Word 2003 (and just about every other
standard Windows application written)?

Thanks,
Ray
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Ray Mitchell" wrote in message
[...]

You can insert the fields manually: { PAGE } of { NUMPAGES }. Use Ctrl+F9 to
insert each pair of field delimiters, { }. Type the code as shown. Press F9
to update. Use Alt+F9 to show/hide field code.

You can recreate the AutoText entry that was available in previous versions
of Word. Just select the fields (and text) you just inserted and then press
Alt+F3. Specify a "Name." For "Gallery," choose "AutoText." Choose the
location where you want to save the entry. When you are done, click OK.

Finally, is there any option in Word 2007 which will change the user
interface back to the look and feel of Word 2003 (and just about every
other
standard Windows application written)?

Thanks,
Ray

For a way to imitate the old user interface, see
http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribbon...izer/index.php.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Thanks Stefan,

I was afraid of that. ...sounds like yet another giant step backwards for
Mircosoft on this one - removing a very useful feature or making it very
difficult to use.

Thanks,
Ray
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi Ray,

Stefan's reply suggested using AutoText as the gallery choice. You might also consider using the Footer gallery choice. Once
you've created a footer sample that has text you like, such as both the Page an NumPage fields in a footer, select it that text in
the footer, choose the 'Footer' gallery from the Header & Footer Tools ribbon and then 'Save Selection' to make it a reusable tool
for the footer. It's then also available in Insert=Footer ribbon and will add the footer without having to be in the footer.

FWIW, in prior versionsmany folks, I've found thought it was too much work to use the page number and total page number fields in
footers along with typing in the Page:{field here} and of{field here} and to get them properly styled and would basically do what
you did as a workaround here, just copy from another document. That's sort of what the gallery is, giving folks a set of readily
usable footers without the need for using a separate document

==========
"Ray Mitchell" wrote in message

Thanks Stefan,

I was afraid of that. ...sounds like yet another giant step backwards for Mircosoft on this one - removing a very useful feature
or making it very difficult to use.

Thanks,
Ray
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote in message
Hi Ray,

Stefan's reply suggested using AutoText as the gallery choice. You might
also consider using the Footer gallery choice. Once
you've created a footer sample that has text you like, such as both the
Page an NumPage fields in a footer, select it that text in
the footer, choose the 'Footer' gallery from the Header & Footer Tools
ribbon and then 'Save Selection' to make it a reusable tool
for the footer. It's then also available in Insert=Footer ribbon and
will add the footer without having to be in the footer.

Bob,

That's a good idea. One might actually say it's a *natural* idea, given the
improvements of the AutoText feature in Word 2007.

Apparently, since I overlooked this possibility, I'm still thinking in terms
of Word 97-2003. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
steve bradford steve bradford is offline

Default Total Page Count - Selected Sections

Just wondering if anyone out there knows how to add a total page count for selected sections of a document? The documents we create (read every document we create) have a title page and a table of contents. Obviously, we do not wish pages in these sections to be included in the total page count as it would cause the footer on the last page of the document to read 'page 120 of 122' leaving people to wonder where the other two pages are. I have been waiting since 1996 for Microsoft to offer a viable solution to this problem, but alas ... Anyone got any ideas? )
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Steve,

You can do this using section breaks and a formula field that subtracts the number of pages in the 1st Section.

First, insert a 'next page' section break between the table of contents and your first text page, then go into the header or footer
containing your page numbers for the 2nd section and unlink the header or footer from the 1st section. Now format the 'X' part of
the 'X of Y pages' to start from '1'. Next, insert a field in the:
.. 1st Section, coded as: {SET TOCSection {SECTIONPAGES}}
.. 2nd (& later) Section(s) for your 'Y' part of the 'X of Y pages', coded as: {={PAGE}-TOCSection}
A Print Preview will update the fields.

Note: The field braces (ie '{ }') are created in pairs via Ctrl-F9. This capability has existed for longer than you say you've been
waiting for a viable solution!

--
Cheers
macropod

"steve bradford" wrote in message ...
Just wondering if anyone out there knows how to add a total page count for selected sections of a document? The documents we
create (read every document we create) have a title page and a table of contents. Obviously, we do not wish pages in these
sections to be included in the total page count as it would cause the footer on the last page of the document to read 'page 120 of
122' leaving people to wonder where the other two pages are. I have been waiting since 1996 for Microsoft to offer a viable
solution to this problem, but alas ... Anyone got any ideas? )

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Correction: chnage {={PAGE}-TOCSection} to {={NUMPAGES}-TOCSection}

Also, ifyour document has only two Sections after inserting the Section break, all you need in terms of field coding to generate the
'Y' part is a SECTIONPAGES field in the 2nd section (in Word versions 2007 you can do this via Insert|Field).

--
Cheers
macropod

"macropod" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jim Gray Jim Gray is offline

Default Total page gount solution

I simply format the number to white on the cover and index pages.

HTH: Jim