Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kristin Kristin is offline

Default Comment text aligning right??

The text in the comments I'm adding to a document is aligning on the right
(i.e., my name is on the right and the comments are coming out to the left of
that. This causes weird word order in long comments.

So, for example, a comment looks like:

This paragraph is :[KK]Comment
The readers should know .extraneous
.this
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Make sure that you haven't enabled a right-to-left language.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kristin" wrote in message
The text in the comments I'm adding to a document is aligning on the right
(i.e., my name is on the right and the comments are coming out to the left
of
that. This causes weird word order in long comments.

So, for example, a comment looks like:

This paragraph is :[KK]Comment
The readers should know .extraneous
.this

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kristin Kristin is offline

The only language enabled is U.S. English.

I've noted a bit more information. 1) If I open a comment and cut and paste
text in, the comment aligns correctly. 2) The text of the comment aligns
right but reads correctly when I click out of the comment, but only if I
don't use punctuation. If I use the punctuation, that makes it start a new
line, putting the text out of order. 3) Similarly, if I pause too long in
my typing, the new text gets placed out of order (to the left of the earlier
text).

So it might read:

.This is my
'm not sure why it comment I
does this

Instead of "This is my comment. I'm not sure why it does this"

Thanks for your help.

Kristin

"Kristin" wrote in message
The text in the comments I'm adding to a document is aligning on the right
(i.e., my name is on the right and the comments are coming out to the left
of
that. This causes weird word order in long comments.

So, for example, a comment looks like:

This paragraph is :[KK]Comment
The readers should know .extraneous
.this

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

From your description, it certainly seems as if the issue has something to
do with text direction and languages, but I have had no direct experience of
right-to-left formatting so I can't really advise further on this. :-(

FWIW, for general information on language formatting, see
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm.

If the issue is only with a particular file, have you tried copying the
whole document except for the final paragraph mark (¶) into a new file?

To show/hide paragraph marks as well as other nonprinting marks, press
Ctrl+Shift+8.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kristin" wrote in message
The text in the comments I'm adding to a document is aligning on the
right
(i.e., my name is on the right and the comments are coming out to the
left
of
that. This causes weird word order in long comments.

So, for example, a comment looks like:

This paragraph is :[KK]Comment
The readers should know .extraneous
.this

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kristin Kristin is offline

I had tried pasting in a new document, but not omitting the final paragraph
symbol. Tried that, but it didn't help. You comment about it being sure it
was language made me go back and look at that. If I select the text in the
backwards comments, the language IS hebrew. The language for everything else
in English. So you are right. Now, how do I turn that off? When I select
the text in the comment and select English, it doesn't stick.

Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this!

Kristin

From your description, it certainly seems as if the issue has something to

"Kristin" wrote in message
The text in the comments I'm adding to a document is aligning on the
right
(i.e., my name is on the right and the comments are coming out to the
left
of
that. This causes weird word order in long comments.

So, for example, a comment looks like:

This paragraph is :[KK]Comment
The readers should know .extraneous
.this

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Change the language of the Comment Text and Balloon Text styles. For
detailed instructions, tell me your version of Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kristin" wrote in message
I had tried pasting in a new document, but not omitting the final paragraph
symbol. Tried that, but it didn't help. You comment about it being sure
it
was language made me go back and look at that. If I select the text in
the
backwards comments, the language IS hebrew. The language for everything
else
in English. So you are right. Now, how do I turn that off? When I
select
the text in the comment and select English, it doesn't stick.

Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this!

Kristin

From your description, it certainly seems as if the issue has something

"Kristin" wrote in message
The text in the comments I'm adding to a document is aligning on the
right
(i.e., my name is on the right and the comments are coming out to
the
left
of
that. This causes weird word order in long comments.

So, for example, a comment looks like:

This paragraph is :[KK]Comment
The readers should know .extraneous
.this

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kristin Kristin is offline

Hmm, I thought I knew how to do that, but it is indicating the language for
the ballooon and comment formats is English still, even though if I select
text in the comment it indicates it is Hebrew.

My version is Word 2003. If your instructions don't fix it, I'll just have
to deal with it, I think. There seems to be something locking the language
formats for this document.

Thanks for your help,
Kristin

"Kristin" wrote in message
I had tried pasting in a new document, but not omitting the final paragraph
symbol. Tried that, but it didn't help. You comment about it being sure
it
was language made me go back and look at that. If I select the text in
the
backwards comments, the language IS hebrew. The language for everything
else
in English. So you are right. Now, how do I turn that off? When I
select
the text in the comment and select English, it doesn't stick.

Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this!

Kristin

From your description, it certainly seems as if the issue has something

"Kristin" wrote in message
The text in the comments I'm adding to a document is aligning on the
right
(i.e., my name is on the right and the comments are coming out to
the
left
of
that. This causes weird word order in long comments.

So, for example, a comment looks like:

This paragraph is :[KK]Comment
The readers should know .extraneous
.this

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

First show all the available styles in the Styles and Formatting task pane
(see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/sfpa...tingPane.html).

Then right-click Comment Text and choose Modify from the context menu. In
the dialog box, click Format, and then click Language. Choose the correct
language and click OK to close the Language dialog box. If you want to
transfer the settings to the attached template, make sure to check "Add to
template" before clicking OK in the Modify Style dialog box. Repeat for the
Balloon Text style.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kristin" wrote in message
I had tried pasting in a new document, but not omitting the final
paragraph
symbol. Tried that, but it didn't help. You comment about it being
sure
it
was language made me go back and look at that. If I select the text in
the
backwards comments, the language IS hebrew. The language for
everything
else
in English. So you are right. Now, how do I turn that off? When I
select
the text in the comment and select English, it doesn't stick.

Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this!

Kristin

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

From your description, it certainly seems as if the issue has
something
do with text direction and languages, but I have had no direct
experience
of
right-to-left formatting so I can't really advise further on this.
:-(

"Kristin" wrote in message
The text in the comments I'm adding to a document is aligning on
the
right
(i.e., my name is on the right and the comments are coming out to
the
left
of
that. This causes weird word order in long comments.

So, for example, a comment looks like:

This paragraph is :[KK]Comment
The readers should know .extraneous
.this

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kristin Kristin is offline

Nope, that was what I tried, but Hebrew isn't coming up as the language when
I do this---English is.
Oh well, it's just this one document so I'm going to not worry about it
anymore. Thanks for your help.

"Kristin" wrote in message
I had tried pasting in a new document, but not omitting the final
paragraph
symbol. Tried that, but it didn't help. You comment about it being
sure
it
was language made me go back and look at that. If I select the text in
the
backwards comments, the language IS hebrew. The language for
everything
else
in English. So you are right. Now, how do I turn that off? When I
select
the text in the comment and select English, it doesn't stick.

Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this!

Kristin

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

From your description, it certainly seems as if the issue has
something

"Kristin" wrote in message
The text in the comments I'm adding to a document is aligning on
the
right
(i.e., my name is on the right and the comments are coming out to
the
left
of
that. This causes weird word order in long comments.

So, for example, a comment looks like:

This paragraph is :[KK]Comment
The readers should know .extraneous
.this

aligning text on right margin John Microsoft Word Help 1 April 22nd 08 07:41 PM
Mouse-over on comment highlights barely shows comment text GordonM Microsoft Word Help 0 April 9th 08 01:13 AM
Aligning Text In Word turkmah Microsoft Word Help 4 February 24th 08 02:56 AM
Aligning text in columns 7M Tables 4 August 27th 06 07:55 AM
Aligning text in tables Paul Tables 2 November 4th 05 03:13 PM