Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Alain Alain is offline

Default page numbering

Dear all,

I need to create page numbers in the second and third sections of a
three-section file. Since I use footnotes (rather than insert-page numbers),
it seems to be impossible to align page numbers on the outsides (like in a
book). Secondly, no matter how I try, I cannot erase page numbers from the
first section, without also erasing them from the other two.

thanks in advance!

kind regards,

Alain
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

Do you mean you are using Footnotes to do the page numbering?
I do hope you mean you are using Footers!
As you have sections, you can unlink the sections from each other so you can
edit one footer without change the others, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...onscontent.htm
You can also have the same effect is you use Different First page settings
for the sections, this can be found under Page Setup.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Alain" wrote:

Dear all,

I need to create page numbers in the second and third sections of a
three-section file. Since I use footnotes (rather than insert-page numbers),
it seems to be impossible to align page numbers on the outsides (like in a
book). Secondly, no matter how I try, I cannot erase page numbers from the
first section, without also erasing them from the other two.

thanks in advance!

kind regards,

Alain

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To put page numbers on the outside in the footer (not footnote), you need to
enable "Different first page" (File | Page Setup | Layout), then place the
page number on the left in the Even Page Footer and on the right in the Odd
Page Footer. In order to omit page numbers in a given section, you have to
unlink that footer from the preceding and following sections.

For more on how headers and footers work, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

"Alain" wrote in message
Dear all,

I need to create page numbers in the second and third sections of a
three-section file. Since I use footnotes (rather than insert-page
numbers),
it seems to be impossible to align page numbers on the outsides (like in a
book). Secondly, no matter how I try, I cannot erase page numbers from the
first section, without also erasing them from the other two.

thanks in advance!

kind regards,

Alain

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Alain Alain is offline

Yes you were absolutely right: footers, not footnotes (page numbering with
footnotes would take quite some time wouldn't it?).

Thanks a million for the advice!