Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Felix Felix is offline

Default Numbered headings in tables

Hi !

I have a document that is divided into several chapters (Heading 1). Within
each chapter there are a number of pages, and each page contains a table. All
relevant text for the page is contained within the table. Currently, the
first line of each page is formatted as Heading 2 outside of the table.

I would like to eliminate that line if possible and have the correct Heading
2 number in the first row header of the table. Is there any reliable way to
do this in Word, or am I just wasting my time trying ? What happens if I
insert a page afterwards ?

Thanks !
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I must not be understanding what you're asking because I don't see what kind
of problems you anticipate from doing this the way you would like.

http://word.mvps.org

"Felix" wrote in message
Hi !

I have a document that is divided into several chapters (Heading 1).
Within
each chapter there are a number of pages, and each page contains a table.
All
relevant text for the page is contained within the table. Currently, the
first line of each page is formatted as Heading 2 outside of the table.

I would like to eliminate that line if possible and have the correct
Heading
2 number in the first row header of the table. Is there any reliable way
do this in Word, or am I just wasting my time trying ? What happens if I
insert a page afterwards ?

Thanks !

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
No Name

You don't make it clear why you think that a Heading 2 won't work in a
table. It is just a style and should be fine. What do you think will or
won't happen?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Felix" wrote in message
Hi !

I have a document that is divided into several chapters (Heading 1).
Within
each chapter there are a number of pages, and each page contains a table.
All
relevant text for the page is contained within the table. Currently, the
first line of each page is formatted as Heading 2 outside of the table.

I would like to eliminate that line if possible and have the correct
Heading
2 number in the first row header of the table. Is there any reliable way
do this in Word, or am I just wasting my time trying ? What happens if I
insert a page afterwards ?

Thanks !

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Of course, if the table ran to another page, the heading would be repeated
if it was tagged as a heading row.

http://word.mvps.org

"Felix" wrote in message
Hi !

I have a document that is divided into several chapters (Heading 1).
Within
each chapter there are a number of pages, and each page contains a table.
All
relevant text for the page is contained within the table. Currently, the
first line of each page is formatted as Heading 2 outside of the table.

I would like to eliminate that line if possible and have the correct
Heading
2 number in the first row header of the table. Is there any reliable way
do this in Word, or am I just wasting my time trying ? What happens if I
insert a page afterwards ?

Thanks !

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Felix Felix is offline

Well, I've been trying to place the header 2 in the first row of my table,
and numbering restarts at 1 in each table. If I click on "Continue
numbering", I get unreliable results. Once I manage to get everything in
order, if I insert a page, my numbering goes all out of whack again and I can
spend hours fixing it. These documents are in the 100-300 page range.

Btw, I'm working with Word 2002 (Office XP). :-|

"Felix" wrote in message
Hi !

I have a document that is divided into several chapters (Heading 1).
Within
each chapter there are a number of pages, and each page contains a table.
All
relevant text for the page is contained within the table. Currently, the
first line of each page is formatted as Heading 2 outside of the table.

I would like to eliminate that line if possible and have the correct
Heading
2 number in the first row header of the table. Is there any reliable way
do this in Word, or am I just wasting my time trying ? What happens if I
insert a page afterwards ?

Thanks !

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

How have you set up the numbering? Are you using outline numbering, seq
numbering, caption numbering or something else? If outline numbering, is the
heading 2 numbering set to restart after a heading 1 and do any heading1s
appear before the heading 2s?

PamC

Felix wrote:
Well, I've been trying to place the header 2 in the first row of my table,
and numbering restarts at 1 in each table. If I click on "Continue
numbering", I get unreliable results. Once I manage to get everything in
order, if I insert a page, my numbering goes all out of whack again and I can
spend hours fixing it. These documents are in the 100-300 page range.

Btw, I'm working with Word 2002 (Office XP). :-|

I must not be understanding what you're asking because I don't see what kind
of problems you anticipate from doing this the way you would like.

[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]

Thanks !